cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't see an Admin Console when logging in to our Basic Dropbox account.

I don't see an Admin Console when logging in to our Basic Dropbox account.

debbieo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The admin to our basic dropbox passed away. Thought I was new admin but I see no "admin console" when I log in. I want to add additional admins for obvious reasons. Is it possible we don't have an admin - we can all administrate?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@debbieo wrote:

This is used for a non-profit organization - we can't have this deleted!  Do we need to upgrade to keep the account??

Basic accounts are meant for individuals. There are no admins and they don't have other members. Each account is for one person. If multiple people are sharing the same credentials to sign in to Dropbox, then they're all sharing one account and that's a violation of the terms as Nancy indicated.

Perhaps what's actually happening is that you all have your own, separate account, and you each have access to a shared folder? In such a case one person would be the owner of the folder and could control access, and all others would be members.

If that's the case, the only way to transfer ownership is for the current owner to do so from their account. If that's not possible, your best bet would be to start a new shared folder, invite everyone to it that needs access, then move the files from the old shared folder to the new one.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @debbieo, thanks for your post and I’m really sorry to hear about your admin. 

When saying you have a Basic account, are you referring to our free plan, by any chance? 

Are you being charged for any Dropbox subscriptions? 

Is the account in question the one you’re currently logged into at the moment (under this email address) or are you referring to a separate account? 

Let me know and we can go from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

debbieo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Nancy, thanks for responding!  Yes, free, with 8 members.  And yes, correct email address. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying! In this case, there’s no admin indeed and you can access the Dropbox account and all its settings just by signing in with the email address and password. 

However, please keep in mind that, since this is a personal account, sharing it with other users goes against our Terms of Service and it could result in the account’s deletion (for more info, you can also check this Help Center article).

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

debbieo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is used for a non-profit organization - we can't have this deleted!  Do we need to upgrade to keep the account??

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@debbieo wrote:

Basic accounts are meant for individuals. There are no admins and they don't have other members. Each account is for one person. If multiple people are sharing the same credentials to sign in to Dropbox, then they're all sharing one account and that's a violation of the terms as Nancy indicated.

Perhaps what's actually happening is that you all have your own, separate account, and you each have access to a shared folder? In such a case one person would be the owner of the folder and could control access, and all others would be members.

If that's the case, the only way to transfer ownership is for the current owner to do so from their account. If that's not possible, your best bet would be to start a new shared folder, invite everyone to it that needs access, then move the files from the old shared folder to the new one.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    debbieo Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?