cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deaf Access (American Sign Language Interpreter Request.) on Dropbox webinars.

Deaf Access (American Sign Language Interpreter Request.) on Dropbox webinars.

gaborrosado
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Sir or Madam:

My wife and I are both subscribers to the Webinars on Drop Box. Closed Captioning is provided, but unfortunately it is challenging still for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Individual due to the inability to read, or fully comprehend the complexity of English language and the content provided because these factors, it would be so beneficial to a Deaf/ Hard of Hearing individual to have an American Sign Language Interpreter in real time, so the Deaf/Hard of hearing individual is able to have the same experience as hearing individuals. 

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other laws require businesses, governments, and nonprofit organizations to provide access to people who are Deaf, Deaf blind, or hard of hearing. This access use meet the person’s needs and communication style. Also, American Sign Language (ASL) is its own language that is used by the Deaf community. ASL is a language and uses its own right, separate to English, and uses its own grammar structure.

If Zoom or a webinar is the platform that is being used, it has the capability where an interpreter can join. There are many video relay and VRI provider that Deaf individuals use for the sole purpose of being connected and being informed like hearing people. Zoom has an interpreter with VRS (Video Relay Service) through the Sorenson for Zoom app. This app allows meeting hosts to add an ASL interpreter to a call on demand without scheduling in advance. The interpreter can join the meeting as a full participant on the same screen as everyone else. Deaf participants can see both the meeting and the interpreter in the same window, and everyone can view shared content and screens while still seeing each other.  

I am writing this letter to your company with the hope that you get a better understanding of the challenges that Deaf individuals face when it comes to access. I like to thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter. I am looking forward to hearing from someone at Drop box with a solution to this dilemma. 

I can be reached through my video relay phone at [...] or email me at [removed per Community Guidelines]

Thank you for your cooperation.

1 Reply 1

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @gaborrosado! Welcome back to our forum. 

To make sure I forward the correct feedback to our team, can you please clarify if you’re referring to the webinars provided here

Let me know and we’ll go from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?