cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

alison r.2
Explorer | Level 4

I have exactly the same problem and have lost a load of work because i hadn't realised the files weren't reaching dropbox. This is a bug (my money's on MS) and nothing to do with the up-to-dateness of app versions. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

For everyone that's still having this issue, can you confirmed that you've followed these troubleshooting steps?

1) Cleared the Dropbox app's cache

2) Uninstalled/reinstalled the Dropbox app and the appropriate MS Office app

3) Restarted the device

4) Made sure that your OS, the Dropbox app and the MS Office app are on the latest version

If these steps didn't help, can we send you an email, to investigate this further?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Yes, all these steps have been followed multiple times. Yes, you may send an email.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I just sent you an email @dluptonmd! 

See you there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Using Dropbox version 330.2.2 on Samsung Zfold 3

Tried the most recent suggestion from Hannah which was to:

1. Clear cache for Dropbox app

2. Delete Dropbox and Microsoft Word apps

3. Reinstall both apps

Same problem... I cannot retrieve a file from Dropbox through the Word app, make any changes, and then save it with a new name.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Dluptonmd describes it right!  I have described it elsewhere the same way. This is a big problem either for the Word app or for Dropbox and typically each side points at the other.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Hannah,

Though I'm confident I have done this before, I followed your steps again exactly.

1. I cleared the cache for Dropbox and for good measure cleared the cache for Word

2. I uninstalled both Dropbox and Word from my Samsung Z-Fold 3

3. I rebooted the phone.

4. I reinstalled both Dropbox and Word.

Same problem!  When I retrieve a file from Dropbox through Word, make any change and simply try to save it back to Dropbox from Word with the same OR a different name it won't let me do that. Says the file is read only and I must save a copy. Obviously when I try to save a copy and rename it the same message pops up. As has been noted elsewhere I can save the file to OneDrive and I can save the file to my phone. The file even shows up on the list of files recently opened in the Microsoft Word open file menu. But nothing gets saved to Dropbox.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

..... And Hannah yes of course you are free to email me. I already received an email from you and I think a ticket was opened so I don't want you to duplicate things.

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
I got no email from you, though I am receiving emails notifying me of posts on this thread.

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
I mean I got no follow-up email to your initial email to which I responded.
Need more support?