cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dropbox android app misbehaving

Getting an error when editing a Word file via Android app

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9

In using the Dropbox android app, every time I edit a doc with word and attempt to save, I get a message which recycles endlessly, 'looking for 365 account.' And then there are 3 pages of adds for Microsoft 365. I have a 365 account, but it is not recognized. I can work around this, but it is a pain.

22 Replies 22

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Yes. but I don't work out of word. I work out of Dropbox and open the Dropbox files with the word option available there. Because when you work out of word, you can't access recent Dropbox files.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I understand, @dluptonmd , thanks for checking.

Can you also send us a screenshot of the error, so we can have a visual?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
This is what the endless screen message says, copied here. I don't see how to send a screenshot.

Your documents and files in one app.
Checking for accounts..

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

If you're on your phone, you'll need to request the desktop version of the site to see the upload button for the screenshot, @dluptonmd

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
I don't have access to my computer now. Anyway, the only thing I would send you is a Microsoft screen that contains the text I just sent you, which again reads 'Your documents and files in one app. Checking for accounts..' And this page blinks on and off forever. Thx.

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
I've done some research and this is an ad, notification, it seems, for the Microsoft 365 cloud service which competes with Dropbox, an attempt to divert you to that service. But I don't know how to get rid of it.

david u.4
Helpful | Level 5

still need help with this issue. Can't believe I'm the only person having this issue?! I tried registering the serial number of my phone at my 365 account, but it won't accept it. Only seems to recognize a registered computer. Thx.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @david u.4, it seems like you might have a second Dropbox account since you also messaged us under the username @dluptonmd. 

Regarding your query, since we're not experiencing any other users with the same behavior, we can only recommend contacting Microsoft support, since their app is making this prompt, not the Dropbox app.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
I'll try them again, but they referred me back to Dropbox. The problem only occurs when I'm in the Dropbox app and select word to edit the Dropbox file. If I'm using the word app, itself, and edit a file say out of one drive, or a file on the device, itself (in docs), I don't get the message.

As far as the accounts go, the last message I sent was from my computer. All the previous messages I sent using my phone, so I don't know exactly what that means.

Thx for any additional help.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Let me know what they say regarding this matter. 

When it comes to the username, this means that you signed into a different Dropbox account on your phone to post your comment, when compared to the one on your desktop. There is a small possibility that this could be related to what you're experiencing.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?