cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Migration from Sharepoint/OneDrive to Dropbox - Help

Data Migration from Sharepoint/OneDrive to Dropbox - Help

Mate293
Explorer | Level 3

Hello I am new to Dropbox and I am currently setting up Dropbox (former Sharepoint/OneDrive user). I can't find a lot of information on how to migrate from Sharepoint/OneDrive to Dropbox almost all the information are the other way around. 

Are there some best practices or guidlines I can follow and use. Do tools for data migration from Dropbox exists? The only information I could find was movebot and Storage Guardian. Are there any reviews and helpful tips?

Good to know: I have a lot of data 1.5 TB + which I want to migrate without loss.

I would be really thankful I someone can provide me with detailled information about this topic or even a guidline.
Thanks a lot.

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi again @Mate293 - thanks for using Dropbox and happy Monday!

Apart from the 3rd party solutions you mentioned, the other way to achieve this would be to download all your files from Sharepoint/OneDrive and upload them to Dropbox anew. 

Just make sure you have enough storage on your account for the upload.

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

PaxtonIT
Helpful | Level 5

Methods for This Migration:

1. Manual Download and Upload:
  • This is the simplest method but time-consuming for 1.5 TB. Download everything from Sharepoint/OneDrive and upload it to Dropbox. This will take too much time but ensure you have enough storage in Dropbox.
  1. Third-party Migration Tools:
  • Tools like MultiCloud and Gs Richcopy360 might be helpful. However, due to the data volume, research their capabilities thoroughly.
  • Look for reviews online by searching "[Tool Name] + Reviews".
  • Here are some tips for choosing a tool:
    • Look for tools that support migration from Sharepoint/OneDrive specifically.
    • Ensure the tool can handle large data volumes efficiently.
    • Check for features like selective migration (choose what to move) and delta sync (only move changes after initial transfer).

Best Practices:

• Prepare Dropbox: Upgrade your Dropbox storage plan to accommodate 1.5 TB.
  • Organize Data: Before migration, organize your Sharepoint/OneDrive data for easier transfer and management in Dropbox.
  • Test Migration: If using a tool, test it with a small data set first to ensure functionality and data integrity.
  • Security: Maintain strong passwords for both Sharepoint/OneDrive and Dropbox.

Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PaxtonIT Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?