cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

257 Replies 257

Tmdale808
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, Ben -

Does this mean the Dropbox Engineering team is not working on a way to bring the original functionality back at a later date?

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @Tmdale808,

No, given that this is a result of the change to the Android OS itself, restoring the original attachment functionality is not something we're looking into. As I understand it, Storage Access Framework forces the change in the attachment flow so that users can attach from multiple document sources rather than allowing individual apps to live in the "Add Attachment" menu.

Regards,

Ben

mike7777
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes I am also having the same issue! Very Annoying indeed! 

LukeF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Ben...

This issue is not linked to the legacy Add file from Dropbox option... it is a real issue with trying to attach a file with the current process flow within the Gmail Mobile App.

I have been unable to attach files to Gmail for several months now - including by selecting the file from the burger / file system approach...

Is this issue being worked on as it is only when attaching from Dropbox that the issue occurs - I can easily attach from OneDrive and G Drive, and from the device storage also so it's 100% a Dropbox fault.

Stevensimpson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Read back a few replies, I'm pretty sure someone from developer said they spoke to an engineer and it's not being done. Seems bizarre for what must be an easy fix.

LukeF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
That references an old menu that gave a direct Attach from Dropbox function.
- this was removed quite a while ago.

Ben refers to another process to add using the hamburger, but that has been the only way to attach in Gmail from Dropbox since the direct attachment was removed (by Gmail), but this issue is preventing attaching files with ALL methods.

It is currently simply impossible to attach a file that is stored in my Dropbox without saving it to my device...

Stevensimpson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Mine still seems to be okay with the burger although I did notice last night when I attached an excel it did attach and then it crashed or disappeared from my email. It was late at night when I was in bed, so didn't think much of it and left it. Just tried now and it was fine with the burger. It's hard to believe a company like Dropbox is letting this happen and not sorting it out. If I get more issues, I guess I'll have to move everything into Gdrive or something like that

LukeF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Ok... just got off a v long chat with Live Support

Dropbox are claiming that the ability to attach a file to Gmail Android App is a feature and therefore the fact it is no longer available is covered by the Terms as they can withdraw features whenever they see fit.
- my specific issue is that it is 100% impossible to attach a file to a Reply email, and there is no fix or workaround for this.

It hasn't been withdrawn from iOS users though... but there is no price difference or compensation available for them making their App much less useful and discriminating against Android users.
- as because they class this as a feature we must assume that they have decided to withdraw it, or not fix it...

This is clear discrimination against Android users of Dropbox, especially when every other App in the Android OS can still attach to Gmail...

Unacceptable and needs a proper explanation - if OneDrive can do it why can't Dropbox... and if iOS users can do it, why can't Android users ?

Answers and a fix is needed

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

I've spoken with our engineering team, and we are aware that the new attachment flow is not working for some users. While we investigate a fix, you can attach files from Dropbox in the Android Gmail app with the following steps:

1. In the Dropbox app go to the overflow menu (3 dots next to the filename) or click into the file and select "Share"
  2. Select: Send Copy of File
  3. Select: Gmail
  4. Compose email and click send

I'll provide an update when I have more information.

Regards,

Ben

Crystaldrops
Helpful | Level 5
Hello, this has been going on for months and is a frustrating issue. Your solution of attaching from Dropbox app is fine unless I need to reply to an email rather than starting a new string. A solution needs to be prioritized ASAP.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    antolepore Explorer | Level 3
    mboeker New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?