cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version history only shows edits from one of my two devices

Version history only shows edits from one of my two devices

David C.215
New member | Level 2

I have been editing a file on both my desktop and laptop computers.  If I edit on the laptop, the changes will synchronize to my other computer. However, when I look in file history, only edits done on my desktop computer appear.  File history should show versions of my files that were edited on any computer. I can't restore any versions of the file that were edited on the laptop.

3 Replies 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting this here, @David C.215

Have you tested this with multiple files, and you keep noticing the same behavior? Also, is this something that started happening recently? 

Finally, I’d like to know the app versions and syncing status of the Dropbox apps on both your computers.

Let me know when you’ve got more info.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

David C.215
New member | Level 2

I don't know whether this has happened in the past because I haven't needed to restore previous versions of files. I have DropBox version 196.4.6900 running on Windows 11. There are two entire days when I worked on the file on my laptop, but there are no versions listed for those days. However, the file was synchronized to the cloud and to my other computer when I saved.  The files are Wolfram Mathematica notebook files with extension *.nb. I tried editing the file on my laptop just now, and a restorable entry was created. I know the DropBox app was running in the background because I have the icon on my toolbar and I pay a lot of attention to it since synchronization is critical for me.  Somehow DropBox is simply not showing two days worth of edits to the file.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @David C.215, thanks for all the info you provided my way. 

So far, based on everything that you described, I understand that there are some changes that you made while you were in your laptop, that don't appear in the file version history, although the apps are synced, right? 

Have you checked your events page too? The Events page at www.dropbox.com/events gives you an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes).

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    David C.215 New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?