cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Rewind fails to work and requires support assistance

Rewind fails to work and requires support assistance

Charlie Windsor
Helpful | Level 7

Hi ...

Please see the screen shot below of Rewind failing to work correctly. This fault can be replicated using different PC's OS's and Browsers.

It would seem that the root cause for us is an Account or Folders having a lot of historic high data activity after the restore date.  (e.g  A User wants to restore data from the 22nd July but rewind fails because there was a lot of Data transfer activity in their account on the 8th August).

In our case we have a 1 Year rewind option  but we can't go back further than three weeks because of historic file changes, plus we do not have 24/7 support.

How do we fix this ? 

(I can supply a capture video of Rewind failing) 

CharlieWindsor_0-1724773905083.png

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Charlie Windsor - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Have you by any chance tried getting in contact with our support team for further assistance on this as the error you're getting suggests? 

If you did, you can share your ticket ID with us so that we can look it up in our system too.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Charlie Windsor
Helpful | Level 7

Hi @Walter  ... Thanks for the reply ...  No support ticket for this particular issue as of yet... 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In that case, I'd suggest reaching out to our support team directly as they'd be better equipped to help you with account specific information.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to add in the meantime @Charlie Windsor 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Charlie Windsor
Helpful | Level 7

Hi .... It seems that Rewind does have serious issues preventing an end user from restoring a folder/account. Calling support to restore data because Rewind fails may not be an option depending on the time or day... Very disappointed.

Is Rewind fit for purpose?

Response below from Dropbox Engineering.

Ticket #24180031: Submission from Get Help

Please note that in case there are multiple modifications/adds and due to the complexity of your folder structure the rewind tool might not allow you to perform the questioned action on your end.

You can always reach out to us and we will perform the requested action on your behalf, not to worry.

Sparky_McGuffin
Helpful | Level 6

I am having a similar problem. This is very annoying. When I started using Dropbox ca. a decade ago, it was top notch. Since then these kinds of problems have reared their ugly head for the past few years when I've used Rewind. Fortunately, I have some hard disk backups (usually), so I can recover things. It seems DropBox is mainly good for synching multiple computers, but not for actually saving copies of time-stamped, accessible directories. I've stopped telling my students to use it, and just go with OneDrive or GoogleDrive.

Need more support?