cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Backup: Why is it impossible to disable?

Dropbox Backup: Why is it impossible to disable?

blehhhh32
New member | Level 2

As far as I can find, there's one (and only one) place where Backup settings can be modified -- where you can choose to disable a particular desktop backup -- and that's in my Dropbox Preferences on (Mac) desktop. However, when I'm on this page, I'm given the message: "To manage these settings, sign in on the same computer you used to start this backup." (see screenshot at bottom)

(1) I am on the same computer I used to set up one of the backups... but Dropbox, for whatever reason, isn't recognizing it.

(2) I no longer have ready access to the other two computers that have backups set up.

I've tried simply deleting the backup folders/files from Dropbox but am blocked from doing so.

I don't understand why -- if I'm signed into my account with my password and have passed whatever other security checks Dropbox has in place -- I'm nevertheless restricted from modifying which files are/aren't saved within Dropbox and from modifying which personal devices Dropbox does/doesn't have access to.

Is there something I'm missing??

Screen Shot 2024-09-07 at 11.20.04 AM.png

15 Replies 15

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@blehhhh32 wrote:

... and that's in my Dropbox Preferences on (Mac) desktop. ...

(1) I am on the same computer I used to set up one of the backups... but Dropbox, for whatever reason, isn't recognizing it.

Hi @blehhhh32,

Hm..🤔 You contradict to yourself!

The backup you're focusing on is from some Windows machine. In the same time you're on Mac. Right? How this can happen - to be the same machine? 🧐😉

Hope this gives direction.

blehhhh32
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the response! In the screenshot, yes, it's showing my PC... but I'm given the exact same message, no matter which of the three devices I click into.

I should have taken a screenshot of the mac's settings for the sake of clarity (apologies for the confusion), but there is no contradiction.

blehhhh32
New member | Level 2

Here are the other two screenshots (all taken while on Mac)

Screen Shot 2024-09-07 at 12.15.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-09-07 at 12.15.46 PM.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Something else may be important in such a situation. Keep in mind that despite you may have set Dropbox Backup on the same machine, the backup data are associated with particular application install/link! If, for instance, you have reinstalled and/or logged out and then logged back in, then Dropbox count your computer as another machine. It's not very intuitive, but... it's so.

blehhhh32
New member | Level 2

ok, but that brings me back to the original question... how can I disable a device that's no longer possible to access? Is Dropbox truly this badly designed, that it's literally impossible to remove the company's access to my personal files?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

First of all, check online on all backups page. If you cannot do anything still there, check your devices list. Again, keep in mind that may be multiple instances for the same machine (matching to every application link). Make sure the machine (or rather link - despite labeled as machines there is list of links actually) matching the backup you want to remove is not linked. Remove it if needed and then get back to backups page to check again. That's it.

Good luck.

PS: Take care not to remove some machine (real link) you need and work with.

blehhhh32
New member | Level 2

I appreciate your help!! I'll look into this solution and report back - thank you!

Nrs_Schubby
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have the same/similar issue. I have a backup in my profile of a PC that I no longer have access to. I removed the device in settings from the linked devices, but I still cannot delete the backup. I currently have no linked devices. How can I delete the backup?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Nrs_Schubby - sorry to hear about this.

Are you getting any particular errors when trying to delete it from your backups page

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Nrs_Schubby Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?