cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing ._ files

Removing ._ files

Grupo Kazerooni
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My business uses both Macs and PC.

The deleted all the files to reformat the folder structure we have set up. Long story short we used a USB that is formated for a PC and now there are a lot of ._ files.

I have seen the recommendation to take out all the files and reformat the USB and reinstall the files again but this would take to much time as the internet here is slow and would take a little more then one day to sync the computers.

I see that I can manually remove them from the server, but does  drop box have an option to find ._ files to delete them rather then going threw all the folders?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

What you are seeing are OS X system files which are normally hidden by the Mac OS filesystem.

They can be deliberately made visible, but the usual reason is because the Dropbox folder has been moved to a non-Mac filesystem (i.e. FAT) which ignores the hidden attribute of those files. Almost invariably it turns out to be the use of a removable external drive of some sort.

You can delete them but, if that's the case, they'll continue to be recreated every time you access that folder on your Mac.

The effect would have been mitigated by ensuring the target volume was first formatted to the native MacOS filesystem. However, I would also note that Dropbox are pretty clear that they don't support removable drives or network volumes because there's a high risk of data loss associated with such devices.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jude H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

+1 This is creating a nightmare for us too.

Stacy R.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Us, too.

Kevin W.19
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Also.

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

What you are seeing are OS X system files which are normally hidden by the Mac OS filesystem.

They can be deliberately made visible, but the usual reason is because the Dropbox folder has been moved to a non-Mac filesystem (i.e. FAT) which ignores the hidden attribute of those files. Almost invariably it turns out to be the use of a removable external drive of some sort.

You can delete them but, if that's the case, they'll continue to be recreated every time you access that folder on your Mac.

The effect would have been mitigated by ensuring the target volume was first formatted to the native MacOS filesystem. However, I would also note that Dropbox are pretty clear that they don't support removable drives or network volumes because there's a high risk of data loss associated with such devices.

Carlo J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks for the detailed explenation Robert S. I'll try this out.

Cheers

CJ 

Nick M.17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi I use a mixture of Windowss, Macs, local/removable/network hard drives. Not an entirely unusual situation. I understand the good explanation above. Thoughts:

1. An option to not show these files on the web interface would help deal with some of the irritation.

2. An option to not create those the ,_ files within the Windows client software may also be worth looking at

Also, does the same issue occur with competitors products - Google Drive, OneDrive etc? Either way should be looked into to either keep up with them or have an edge on them.

Thanks

Nick

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nick M.17 New member | Level 2
    Carlo J. New member | Level 1
    Robert S. Super User alumni
    Kevin W.19 New member | Level 2
    Stacy R.1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?