cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New named Dropbox structure

New named Dropbox structure

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

I am a user of DropBox Business, on Windows 10.

Last week, I suddenly realized that the shortcuts to some of my Dropbox folders were broken.

A quick look learned me that the structure had changed.

While I used to access my folder through:

C:/User/{username}/Dropbox (COMPANY NAME)/, I can now find them at:
C:/User/{username}/{COMPANY NAME} Dropbox/MyFirstName LASTNAME/

Now, both structures seem to remain while the first one is now a hidden shortcut (although I can't seem to see where it links to).

So that I don't really know where my files actually are.

Is this change documented anywhere?

Thanks

After a couple of days, I realized this happened to all of this Dropbox Business users across the company, Mac and Windows, and that it messes up with backup strategies.

I didn't find anything about this new structure in DropBox's changelog.

156 Replies 156

ap support
New member | Level 2

Does anyone have any solution to this?

Rinconman
Helpful | Level 7

I have been postponing this again for the last several months.  Usually I can go 6 weeks out on postponing.  Now I cannot go later than 7/31/24.  It looks like I am being forced to do this upgrade.

I don't use Teams Folders and ran the report and it noted that no folder names will be exposed.  The report noted "All clear-there aren't any subfolder names and paths that will become visible to team members after...."

One concern is file path.  With this new structure, since the username will be added to the path.   This will increase the path another 10 to 12 characters depending on user.

Is there a DB report to see file path length and flag any user files that may be too long?  I want to make sure I do not have an issue with the path being longer than 260 characters.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Rinconman - thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this.

When it comes to the report you mentioned, I'm afraid there's no such function at this time. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LAUBlab
Helpful | Level 6

i suddenly cannot post bone the "file update" anymore. it wants to force me to to it on 8th august 2024, this is in the middle of an project and we cannot have no access to our files for several hours or days( we have TB of data on dropbox).

how can i post bone this forced unwanted update? we dont need and not want this team structure. we use only 1 account.

please for help!

Rinconman
Helpful | Level 7

@Walter 

I had my update last night. I have five users on my D for B. Two users are windows only machines and no Team Folder access and it looks like those two are fine.

A third user had only a MAC linked. This user was also linked to a Windows PC but because the DB folder was not on the C drive for that PC, I unlinked the computer. So, for that user the only linked machine was a MAC. Issues explained below. This user also has no Teams Folder Access.

A fourth user has both a Windows and Mac machine linked. The windows machine seems to have migrated fine. The MAC has issues.

A fifth user I did not have a computer linked and that was all online. That seems fine.

On two macs (both air 13 M3 running the new File Provider Version) I got the below message.

“The format of your Dropbox has changed. We saved your unsynced changes. You’ll files with unsynced changes safely archived in folder at ~/Library/CloudStorage.”

Note that everything on the macs was synced the night before the migration. We made sure the DB icon showed synced. We also closed all running apps.

On both macs all programs and apps were closed and machine left over night.

The new DB folder is at:

“/Users/mike/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox-TEAM_NAME”

And the other reported as “not synced” files as:

"/Users/mike/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox- TEAM_NAME (7-6-24 03:07)”

The New Drobox folder is synching with DB. The other one is outside of Dropbox so it is not synching with anything.

It appears during the migration, DB app on the Mac flagged these files as updated but not synched to DB which is not correct.

I looked the files in this “not synched” folder and compared to the new Dropbox Folder and they look to be correct in the new Dropbox folder (they match). Also, many of the folders in this “not synced” folder are empty. For this user, the “not synched” folder shows it is over 1,560 file and 460 folders. The other user with the issue is over 6500 files.

I went through folder by folder, and anything that is in the “not syched” folder is in the dropbox folder. Note when looking at specific subfolders, some of the files did synch, so for example if there is a subfolder of “Test 1” there are more files in the version on the synching DB folder than there are in the “not synched” folder.

From what I see, I think I can disregard this “not synched” folder since the files appear to be in DB. What I did was copied the folders and files from the “not synched” folder into a DB subfolder so they are now on my DB in case I ever needed them. Also, once I got them in DB it was easier to review on a windows desktop than (Mac Air 13 M3).

I reached out to DB support and waiting a response as to why this happened and to confirm that I my assumption is correct and I do not need the files in the “not synched” folder. Perhaps support here has information.

I guess it could it be a bug in the migration and I really do not need this folder noted as not synched files.

thanks

LAUBlab
Helpful | Level 6

no answer or help from dropbox support?

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @LAUBlab,

I'm currently looking into the possibility of postponing your migration on our end. If it's possible, can you provide a date you'd like to postpone until?

Thanks,

Ben

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BenDBX Community Manager
    LAUBlab Helpful | Level 6
    Rinconman Helpful | Level 7
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?