cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Desktop folder has been removed from my Mac, after losing access to my work Dropbox account.

My Desktop folder has been removed from my Mac, after losing access to my work Dropbox account.

Vibhi
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

So this is what has happened. I had access to Dropbox via my work account on my laptop (Macbook). Yesterday that access was taken away as I had resigned and so naturally I no longer had access. After that, all of my desktop folder is gone. I can't find it in hidden files or anything. How can I recover this? All of my personal documents, certificates, and everything were stored in it. I really need access to the 'Desktop' folder. I don't understand how they got linked as I have downloads still but specifically this one is gone. 

Now a shortcut is created on the desktop saying 'my files in Dropbox' which opens to 'the operation can't be completed because the original item for My Files in Dropbox can't be found. 

Please help me. I'm in urgent need

5 Replies 5

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Vibhi, I’m sorry to hear about the situation. Let’s have a look. 

From your post, it does sound like computer backup was enabled at some point for your Desktop folder indeed. 

Since you mention that your access was taken away, I imagine you can’t access your Backups page online now to look for this folder, correct? What do you see when trying to log in to that account again?

Also, as you were using a work account, is it possible it was part of a Dropbox team? If yes, have you talked with the admin of the team to see if they can temporarily restore your access, so that you can regain the Desktop folder? 

Let me know more info and we’ll go from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Vibhi
New member | Level 2

Hi Nancy,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I highly appreciate it.

I was added to the Dropbox workspace again today after I shared the problem with my ex-manager. However, it was not 'restored' but more like a new access with my old email and that didn't show any previous files.

I will share this link with him and ask him if he can 'restore' it. That might solve it. I hope so. 

I will keep you informed!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Please do, @Vibhi! In any case, you’ll need access to your previous Dropbox account, as this one is a separate one (from what I understand from your post).

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Vibhi
New member | Level 2

Hi Nancy, 

My manager sent me a link to access files, however it has just 6 files. I don't know what to do. I had different folders with files in it. Please guide me. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Vibhi, let me also jump in here! 

Can you confirm that when you search for specific (example) file names in your computer there is nothing that shows up?

Now, if you set up a new account from scratch when you were invited back to the team, I gather that your files were transferred upon your removal. With that in mind, can you get in touch with the team admin and confirm the case? 

If I've got this right, can you ask them if they've tried to share the folder that contains your previous team member files too?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Vibhi New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?