cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Missing Files and they aren't in recently deleted files

Missing Files and they aren't in recently deleted files

dnewb1580
New member | Level 2

Missing Files  After my subscription renewed today almost all (95%) of my files disappeared and are not in recently deleted files.

27 Replies 27

Janinec
Explorer | Level 4

other what ? I want drop box to reinstate them to me.....do you think they still have them?

Mark
Super User II

@Janinec no. They wont have them. 

If they are not showing on your online Dropbox account they are not available. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

lx002
New member | Level 2

All my files in dropbox are not there anymore and they are also not in the deleted files section. I did not delete anything myself and am not sure what happened to cause this. I haven't had any ransomware detected by McAfee Livescan.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lx002, sorry to hear about that, let's jump right into this! 

Is it possible that you opened a brand new Dropbox account, and that's why it's empty? Have you taken a look into your Events page, by any chance? 

The Events page at www.dropbox.com/events gives you an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes), as well as adding or removing shared folders. 

Let me know more on this! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Janinec
Explorer | Level 4

Hi 

I can see the events - and there are many. I just want all my files back and I can go through them and delete what I want to - as I did delete  some but many were deleted that I did not consent to  - nor did I ever consent to ANY of my files going into drop box in the first place. The terminology is hard to understand and we are not clearly advised what is happening when we first start using drop box. I only was lead to open it by the bank to open one zip file and then I turned around all all my files were in there and they are not easy to get back.  

How can I get all my files back that drop box has ever had and then close my account?

kind regards

Janine

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey Janine, you mentioned that you see the events. 

Are you able to see the files in your events page? And does it mention that these files were deleted?

Do you see anything in your backups page?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

clarkie
New member | Level 2

Hi DP community,

I was linked to my previous company's DropBox account, and in being added into that account I could see both my personal files and the company's files. I left the company and when they deleted me from their DP, I am now with an empty personal DP, with no Deleted Files even to try to recover. Can someone advise what I can do?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @clarkie, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like you were deleted from a Dropbox Business team, meaning that your account was deleted. 

In order to reactivate the account, if it hasn't been longer than 7 days since the account deletion, and if the admin hasn't transferred the files to another team member, they can follow these steps to restore it.

If you still need to leave the team (if that was the original intention), you can ask the team admin to convert your account back to a Basic plan.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

clarkie
New member | Level 2

Hi there! Thank you so much for responding so quickly! I actually just received a response from my company admin, and he is claiming I was registered under my company email. My admin also checked any deleted files and have found none of my personal.

Somehow my personal account was linked, I assume? Whenever I logged into Dropbox for work files, I was always able to see my personal as well. I also haven't changed my plan details in countless years now.

When logging in now, I have single one shared file in my entire box from a year ago, but everything else is gone from the last 10 years. Any further advice?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @clarkie, if you were able to sign into the account, and saw both personal and work files, it all points out to you being part of a Business team. 

Is it possible that you created a new account, or have a different account that you used to sign into Dropbox with? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Kearcuri Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?