cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I mistakenly deleted D: data drive and lost all my files

I mistakenly deleted D: data drive and lost all my files

Wils
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I mistakenly deleted the D:Data drive from Windows File Explorer and lost all of my Dropbox folders and files. I thought a D drive would be an external drive and that all of my files would still be in the DB cloud. But no, they're all gone but worse than that, they did not go to the Deleted folder, they just disappeared, so it doesn't look as if I can restore them. We have the Basic plan with 2TB of storage so I ought to be able to restore deleted files but I didn't delete them from an open file, I deleted folders from Windows Explorer. Have I permanently lost all my files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wils
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay

Thank you for your reply. I have now received chat support from Gabrielle (excellent support) and she has guided me through starting the Dropbox Rewind feature that you correctly recommended. Thanks again for your assistance, we ought to finish that process tomorrow and all will be restored up to that point.

Best,

Wils

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Wils, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

A Basic plan should only have 2 GB of quota, not 2 TB of quota, could you confirm what plan you're on from looking at this page?

Are you able to see your files on the Dropbox home page? Are there any changes visible on the events page?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Wils
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your reply. You're right! Our subscription is Dropbox Plus - 2TB. No I can't see any of the previous files on the home page under All files. Just some files that I'd uploaded after deleting the D:Data files and before I'd realised what I'd done. I can't see how to get to the Events page although I did get to it earlier today through a support bot link and I could see lots and lots of events; files added, files deleted ... but there's no obvious way to get to that link again, at least not from the home page.

Best,

Wils

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The link to the events page isn't visible on the homepage, but you can still access it directly from here: https://www.dropbox.com/events

As you're on a Dropbox Plus plan, could you try using the Dropbox Rewind feature to rollback your account to before the deletion?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Wils
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay

Thank you for your reply. I have now received chat support from Gabrielle (excellent support) and she has guided me through starting the Dropbox Rewind feature that you correctly recommended. Thanks again for your assistance, we ought to finish that process tomorrow and all will be restored up to that point.

Best,

Wils

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Wils Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?