cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm unable to move a folder back to the team space from my personal folder

I'm unable to move a folder back to the team space from my personal folder

RobinH
Explorer | Level 3

I saw a question like this in the forum, but the instructions don't seem to apply to me. I noticed that a folder my whole team has access to is now in my personal folder within the team/business Dropbox account. People still have access, but it is in the wrong place. I assume I accidentally dragged it in there. The instructions I've found say I should be able to hover over the folder, see the 3 dots, and select "move," but "move" is not an option that comes up when I do that. When I try to copy or drag the folder out of my personal folder to the main team folder, the message says I can't do that, because I need special permission. I am the account admin (business owner), so it seems like I should have permission to do anything, but apparently I don't.

What steps can I take?

12 Replies 12

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting this on our Community, @RobinH

First off, I’d like a screenshot of the options you see when trying to move the folder back to its original place. 

I’d also appreciate one more screenshot of the error you’re getting when trying to copy the folder over.

Are you experiencing the same behavior on different browsers, as well? 

Keep me posted.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bakken
New member | Level 2

We are having this same issue with our Team.  It's clearly related to the June 22 update, as it's brand new.  One team member has found several whole-Team folders in her personal folder.  This is not happening to everyone.  however, there is no way to move those whole-Team folders back to the main folder where it belongs.  The "move" option is GONE.

Please fix this glitch on the June 22 update.  It's a huge problem.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for reporting this, @bakken. To clarify, the “Move” option is missing on all browsers, correct?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

RobinH
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, @nancy. Yes, I have the same experience online using Firefox, Microsoft Bing, and on the desktop version. There is no "move" option in any of these. The first screenshot here (hoping it pasted) is what I see when I try to copy it from my personal folder and paste it into the main business folder. 

RobinH_0-1719286249188.png

If I just try to drag it (which I do using the desktop version) I just get the circle with diagonal line through it, letting me know that can't be done.Screenshot 1.png

infinitejester00
New member | Level 2

I work on a small team that uses Dropbox business as a shared storage space. Over the weekend, a few select folders (seemingly random) moved from the main hub to each of our personal folders. They still have the icon of the shared folder, but now exist in each of our personal folders. Dropbox does not allow us to simply move these folders back, and in the meantime we've made NEW folders in the main page to act as the old ones, copying all the contents into it. This has not been a solid fix because we keep finding files and folders moving around, and is very disruptive to our workflow and folder structure.

Any idea why this is happening? Was there an update to dropbox recently that is causing this? Dropbox has always been very stable before this, but having files move around on their own makes it almost unusable for us.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots, @RobinH and welcome to the forum, @infinitejester00. Can I log two tickets for each one of you and investigate further?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

mikeywidd
New member | Level 2

CHANGE THE SYSTEM BACK TO BEING ABLE TO MOVE FOLDERS

IT IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS FOR US TO NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE FOLDER WITHIN THE TEAM SPACE

RobinH
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,  @Nancy I've been swamped, and I notice that the folder I was having an issue with is now back in the right place, in the main company dropbox folder. I don't know how it happened, but I'm grateful. Did you open a ticket, and did someone over there move it? If there's something I can do if this happens again, I'd be grateful to know. Thanks.

RubinRolong
New member | Level 2

Having the same issue. The MOVE option under the eclipse "..." is no longer available. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    RubinRolong New member | Level 2
    RobinH Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?