cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to permanently delete an empty Team folder inside a Member folder?

How to permanently delete an empty Team folder inside a Member folder?

Graham C.10
Explorer | Level 3

I'm really not sure how I've done this but I've ended up with an empty Team folder inside a Member folder.  As the Team admin I can access the Member folder but the Team folder has no members. If I open Dropbox.com, go to the empty Team folder and select the Share button everything is greyed out and I'm unable to give myself access. How do I permanently remove the empty Team folder?

14 Replies 14

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @Graham C.10, and thanks for posting today!

Just to clarify, are you sure it's a team folder or could it be a simple shared folder?

You can tell by the icon on the folder; is it a building icon or a 'two-people' icon (a screenshot would also help us understand better)?

Also, is this happening in another team member's account or your own?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Graham C.10
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah

The empty folder is definitely a Team folder. I know this because that's what it says it is when I look at the Type column in Dropbox.com. We are a team of two and the other person does not see the empty Team folder that I am seeing. As requested, here's a screenshot which shows the empty Team folder, namely the "MUSIC" folder.2024-06-18 10.44.10 www.dropbox.com 2809e9044262.png

nada_dbx
Dropbox Product Manager

If this team folder is owned by your team, you should be able to go to your Admin Console 'Content' tab and see the Music folder there. You can then archive and permanently delete the team folder. Are you able to do that? 

Graham C.10
Explorer | Level 3

When I go to the Content tab in the Admin console I don't see the "Graham ..." folder which is the Member folder which contains the empty "MUSIC" folder. Therefore, I'm unable to delete the "MUSIC" folder.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@Graham C.10, can you send one more screenshot of all the options you see when trying to remove this folder from your Dropbox account?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Graham C.10
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy

As requested, I've attached two screenshots, namely "Graham 1.png" and "Graham 2.png". "Graham 1" shows the folder structure I see when I'm logged into Dropbox.com. "Graham 2" shows the folder structure I see when I'm logged into Dropbox.com and I've opened the Admin console. As you can see, there are some differences.

Regards, Graham.

Graham 1.jpgGraham 2.jpg

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Can you also send us a screenshot of what you see when you follow the steps to delete the folder from dropbox.com?

And one more clarification; is the "MUSIC" folder inside your team member folder, or inside the "Graham ... (graham)" folder shown in the first screenshot of your last reply?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Graham C.10
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah

Up until yesterday the "MUSIC" folder was located in the "GRAHAM ... (KEEP THIS ONE)" folder. However, as per the attached screenshot, overnight Dropbox created a new folder called "Graham ... (graham)" which now contains the "MUSIC" folder. I did not create the "Graham ... (graham)" folder. It appeared in my Dropbox account overnight. Not only that, but this folder has been automatically populated with a whole series of folders that begin with "MUSIC (view-only conflicts...". Also, in answer to your question, the "MUSIC" folder is inside the "Graham ... (graham)" folder as shown in my last reply.

In terms of sending you a screenshot of what I see when I follow the steps to delete the "MUSIC" folder from Dropbox.com, I go to the Admin console and select Content. However, when I do so I see a range of folders but I don't see the "Graham ... (graham)" folder. (See attached file).

Graham Clark, 4.jpgGraham Clark, 3.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @Graham C.10. As for the personal folder you see, you can read more details here.

Now, regarding the Content tab of your Admin Console, it’s mainly to show you team and shared folders (outside of the Member folder) and also which folders a specific team member has access to (for more info, you can also check this Help Center article).

Out of curiosity, have you tried opening your Member folder again via the All files page and moving this team folder outside of it? Can you do this and if yes, are you able to delete it afterwards?

Finally, as for the view-only conflicts you see, I found this article that may help a bit.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nada_dbx Dropbox Product Manager
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Graham C.10 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?