cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do I delete files from Dropbox without deleting them from my computer and other devices?

How do I delete files from Dropbox without deleting them from my computer and other devices?

LynnMGallagher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I do not use Dropbox for backup storage; I use a different service for that.  But friends and fellow students sometimes want to share files in Dropbox, so I set up a free account.  Somehow, I don't know how, Dropbox uploaded some of my photos to the cloud and filled up my basic Dropbox space.  I would like to take my photos out of Dropbox WITHOUT DELETING THEM FROM MY COMPUTER or other devices.  This would give me the Dropbox space that I need for sharing.  But when I try to do that, Dropbox says that it will delete my photos from all my devices!  How can I empty my Dropbox without deleting my photos from my devices?

46 Replies 46

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there peeps, thanks for your updates here!

From what you've mentioned @tommarinotax, you enabled the computer backup feature when installing the Dropbox app on your computer. You can check out more about this feature here.

Were you able to restore the files that you deleted when deleting the Dropbox folder from your computer?

Also, @Anna456 I can see that your previous posts both received a response from both myself and Super User Rich previously, did you miss those perhaps?

Have you also enabled the backup of your Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders on your computer? If so, you can disable this with the steps outlined here so that you can just choose which files to move into the Dropbox folder on your computer to sync with your other devices.

When you no longer need to have the file in Dropbox, you can simply move it out of the Dropbox folder on your computer as I outlined in my previous reply to you here.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tommarinotax
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your response.  I tried to turn off computer backup per the instructions at the link you provided, but i can't access preferences it's locked.  I'm really getting frustrated - all my settings are defaulted to a location that no longer exists.  I just want to get my downloads and desktop back without dropbox as part of the file path.  This is incredible how dropbox won't let me back to the way i was before.  i don't understand how this is possible, i've never had software intrude on my pc like dropbox has.

tommarinotax
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I think i'm finally free of Dropbox.  I saved the files that dropbox had "owned" in a secret location, then deleted dropbox from my PC, then deleted my account at dropbox.  It took awhile to permanently delete all dropbox folders from my PC, they are very persistent.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @tommarinotax.

It's rather strange what you mentioned that the Preferences were locked, this is not something that I believe is possible. However, I'm glad to hear that you seem to have resolve the issue your own way.

If there's anything else I can help with, please do let me know.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

The_Dom
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks buddy, everything is gone from my documents on dropbox and my PC. Terrible advice. It has gone from recycling bin too.

suzanna
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It deleted the files from my desktop- gave me no other choice than to delete everywhere...this is not a good answer

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @suzanna!

Do you have the computer backup enabled to sync your Desktop files?

The delete everywhere notification is referring to deleting the file in your Dropbox account and connected devices.

If the computer backup is enabled and syncing your Desktop/Downloads/Documents files, then the deletion of the file is synced in the location that was chosen to sync.

You'll need to disable the computer backup feature first, to stop syncing those files to Dropbox.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

LizMac42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox is so complicated..I dont think its dafe to use for non experts..I wouldnt use it again since I lost videos of my grandchildren..there is not enough immediate or understable help when using it.

1jimco
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I agree with the other posters -- this software should come with a warning that you can potentially lose your files. Today I wanted to share a folder with my other laptop and in the process of doing that I saw a button to back up my documents. I clicked that, assuming that I could browse to the folder I wanted to share. Instead it staring uploading ALL of my documents. I realized that my account could not hold everything so I looked for a way to stop that. I found it in the Preferences and turned it off while it was still uploading. Now a great many of my folders are just GONE from my computer. Dropbox is saying that it has deleted files so they are not in Dropbox either. Will I get them back if I click restore? But there isn't room in Dropbox for them. What a freaking disaster! It's crazy that this software can just remove my files and folders.

KNEEFAM
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Re: How do I delete files from Dropbox without deleting them from my computer and other devices?

Need more support?