cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete a file someone I don't know shared with me?

feckdolphin
New member | Level 2

Someone shared a video with me and it's in my account. There are not options to delete, hide, or remove it. I don't recall getting a notice - I just came looking for another file and there it was. How do I get rid of it. It's labeled as "Shared with You". It doesn't show that it's any particular folder. It has a checkbox on the left but no option to delete or hide or anything. The ... ellipse menu only has options to download or Save As (file type). It's a whopping 845.35MB "Truancy Video English.MP4" with some judge reading the truancy law!!??? It's disturbing that someone can park this file in my folders and I not know about it or be able to do anything about it. File Info gives the date of 3/1/2024 and the file size. To reiterate: I didn't share a file, it was shared with me by someone I don't even know. I just searched for all .MP4 files and this one was included, it's not in a folder and it can only be found by searching the title or .MP4.

Does anyone know how I can remove this shared file and prevent anyone from sharing anything into my account ever again? Thanks!

nvasion.jpg

2 Replies 2

feckdolphin
New member | Level 2

There is a user who has shared an 800+ MB video in my account and it has no options for deletion or rejection or anything. It does show the users full name. How can I block this user so maybe the file disappears and keep them and anyone else from sharing files with me in the future. I don't even know who they are. Disturbing that someone can randomly drop/share files in my account without my permission. I just happened to be searching for all .MP4s and it show up - was shared with me on 3/1/2024. The file does not indicate a folder - I can only find it by searching.

Thanks!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @feckdolphin, let's see what we can find together about this! 

You mentioned that this is a file that you can only locate by searching for it. If you access your shared tab online, are you able to locate it there? 

Also, if you check your email address, are you able to locate any relevant Dropbox emails informing you that someone shared this file with you a few months back?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    feckdolphin New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?