cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deletion problem

Deletion problem

DarrylAG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I use Dropbox in connection with a music app -- SongBookPro. Usually, I can transfer a song that is written out on my computer to SongBookPro by exporting the file to Dropbox and from the SongBookPro app transferring it from Dropbox.

A problem has arisen where I need to correct a mistake in the song. In that case I delete it from SongBookPro and transfer the new version to Dropbox. But when I go to add the new version the old one, which has been deleted turns up.

Can anyone help me sort this out? It's very frustrating.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you don't want to rename the original one, you could try copying it and testing it out on the duplicate @DarrylAG

Let me know how it goes, if you get the chance to give it a go!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DarrylAG, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify if you're using the Dropbox desktop app, the mobile app or the website? 

Could you have a look at your events page and let me know what you find in regards to those files?

Also,  are you using an official integration of this 3rd party app? Is it showing under your Connected apps tab?

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

DarrylAG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you so much for responding.

The particular song I'm talking about is "Catch The Wind". It's a PDF file.

Looking at the Events Page on Dropbox, it says 10:42 am -- You deleted "Catch The Wind"; 10:45 am -- You added "Catch The Wind".

Your last paragraph I'm not sure I fully understand, but I went to the Dropbox app centre and it doesn't show the app I am talking about.  The app is called "SongBookPro". I've been using it for years in conjunction with Dropbox and everything normally works fine. 

The app is on my Samsung Galaxy tablet as is Dropbox (although I have the latter on my Apple Mac computer as well). The normal procedure has been for me to just use both apps on the tablet, delete the song which needs to be changed and then via SongBookPro and Dropbox put the corrected version in its place.

However, there has recently been a change and when you click on the song in Dropbox on the app the dropdown box does not have "Delete" at the bottom as it did before and I have then to go to Dropbox website on the computer to delete it. Just another thing frustrating me.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello from me as well, @DarrylAG

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling SongbookPro perhaps?

What I can also suggest is to clear the Dropbox app’s cache on your mobile device and reinstall it as well, to see if that will make any difference.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DarrylAG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you for responding.  No, I haven't tried uninstalling and re-installing the SongBookPro app. The reason I haven't done that is, (apart from the fact that I might have to re-purchase the app) I didn't want to risk losing all the songs I have on it (well over 100) that has taken me a long time to put together.

Just as an aside, after my exchange of messages recently, I tried another song yesterday in the usual way, i.e. deleting from Dropbox and adding a corrected version and it worked. However, when I tried to add "Catch The Wind" which I had trouble with before, the same problem occurred, namely, that the old version turned up and not the corrected version.

I have, by the way, cleared the cache for both apps. The first time I ever encountered this problem that worked. Now, it doesn't.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DarrylAG, how are you today?

I  know this might be off, but have you tried renaming the file since you first noticed this issue?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

DarrylAG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Actually, once before that's exactly what I did and, of course, it worked because it is a totally different file name. Buy I was hoping find out what the problem is in the first place. I'm not what you'd call technical person and it doesn't make sense to me that you can delete something, and in my view wiping it from the face of the Earth, and then you just get it back again.

Oddly, since my first exchange with you, I have successfully deleted two songs, corrected them, and put the corrected versions back with no problem. It just seems now to be this one file "Catch The Wind". Go figure.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you don't want to rename the original one, you could try copying it and testing it out on the duplicate @DarrylAG

Let me know how it goes, if you get the chance to give it a go!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

DarrylAG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Way ta go Walter! It worked. I simply duplicated the file, replaced it, and the correct file turned up on SongBookPro. Still mystified why it happened in the first place, especially as two subsequent songs were amended and transferred without a problem but thank you so much for your help. 

Need more support?