cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't my devices sync with each other?

Why won't my devices sync with each other?

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

I have no idea if this is the right area. My tablet and phone show a 3 Month old version of files and not all of them. I've tried signing into the web app. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling on my phone and nothing works. IT looks like syncing had been paused on the computer but even once that happened it doesn't populate to the other devices.

I'm not sure what else to do.

17 Replies 17

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist, thanks for posting today!

Just for clarification, is the website the only place with the updated files?

What OSes and Dropbox versions are you running on those devices?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

Trying again, because looking for the version caused my reply to disappear. 😞 I cannot find the version on my laptop, Windows 11 OS. Tablet and phone have version 364.2.2 and are Androids. Neither they nor the web app show my current files which are only on my computer. A friend uploaded a file in the last few days to a shared folder. While it shows as "download complete" on the taskbar icon (which is black with a blue sync icon), it does not show in any of the files.

A few days ago my computer said it had just synced 500+ files but now they show again as syncing forever. 3 months ago I had to get a new computer and shift things. These are the current devices but it looks like they're not updating.

I deleted and reinstalled on the phone but it made not difference.

daviddavid
Explorer | Level 3

If your devices are not syncing with each other, it could be due to various reasons such as incompatible software versions, network issues, or improper settings. Ensure that all devices are connected to the same network and have the latest updates installed. Check the settings and permissions to ensure proper synchronization between devices.

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

They're all in the same room with the same router. Since I've uninstalled and reinstalled on the phone and it shows as the same version as the tablet, I'm not sure how else to install a different version? What permission does Dropbox require to sync as it once did?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist - sorry to jump in here, but I wanted to mention that it sounds like the Dropbox desktop app on your computer is not syncing.

Could you have a look at your task bar and let me know if you see the Dropbox icon there? 

If you do, could you share the app's status and version? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

Said above:

While it shows as "download complete" on the taskbar icon (which is black with a blue sync icon), it does not show in any of the files. I cannot find the Dropbox version on my computer. I've looked but it's not showing anywhere that I know of.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In that case, could you reinstall using the offline installer from this page directly @WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist ?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

Do I need to uninstall the previous version and will it affect my files if they're not syncing to the cloud?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

No need to uninstall at this time @WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist - just reinstall using the link I provided.

As for the files that aren't syncing at the moment, they should resume once the app starts working normally. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?