cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we shorten shared link URLs on Dropbox?

Why can't we shorten shared link URLs on Dropbox?

Zao
Helpful | Level 5

The email in question...

I'm sending a link to a client and the link is longer than the email itself. It looks so unprofessional to the extent that it looks like spam. Yes I could hide the link in html but some clients like to copy and paste the link directly from the email, for example when needing to pass on the link through another platfrom.
Why is there no way to shorten this within Dropbox? Is it really that hard to implement? I'm aware there are third party options to do this but I pay for dropbox, I don't feel like I should be having to look for workarounds with questionable security.
Box com does custom shared urls.
Onedrive and Sharepoint do shorter links.
Backblaze does Friendly URLS.
Youtube does a short link and even google forms offered me a short link option.
Feels like I'm stuck in 2010.
Is this an issue for anyone else or is it just me?

4 Replies 4

ahsieh
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @Zao, thank you for sharing your request and feedback! We’ve passed it on to the team and are actively working on getting your request prioritized. Do you also have a need for branded links, or would a simple shortened URL be sufficient for your use case?

Zao
Helpful | Level 5

Hey. I dont think it's so much a need, more of a service that is already offered by others. I'm wondering why it isn't offered by Dropbox? In the case of transferring links to different platforms, a shorter link that allows it to be typed would suffice. I'm sure there is certainly a target market out there for custom links though.

gates_apco
New member | Level 2

Yes please. A feature for shortened URL is greatly needed

Rich
Super User II

@Zao wrote:

Why is there no way to shorten this within Dropbox? Is it really that hard to implement?

They used to have one, using the db.tt domain for the links. It was removed years ago.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    gates_apco New member | Level 2
    Zao Helpful | Level 5
    ahsieh Dropbox Product Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?