cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel 'make available offline' downloading process.

Cancel 'make available offline' downloading process.

Oliver Baldwin
New member | Level 2

Right now it's a huge flaw you cannot cancel the 'make available offline' download mid-process. Especially since it's so easy to accidentally click the 'cloud' icons on MacOS and suddenly have a whole folder of files downloading. I work in post-production and regularly have folders containing hundreds of gigabytes worth of data in them, and have accidentally made folders 'available offline' several times now...resulting in my computer spending hours or days downloading files only for me to make them 'online only' once again. When you could have Dropbox on an external drive this was less of an issue...as pulling out the drive would effectively crash the download process. Please fix this as its a regular issue me and my colleagues are now having! 

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Oliver Baldwin, thanks for taking the time to post here today.

We appreciate your feedback on the 'make available offline' feature very much.

Your comments have already been passed along to our team about this.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ginodimeo
Helpful | Level 7

I'm bumping this as it, indeed, incredibly annoying. Before this terrible update, if you right-clicked 'make online only' it would end the download process. Not sure why this can't be implemented on this version.

ginodimeo
Helpful | Level 7

I'm going to keep suggesting this until it happens. In the post-Ventura Dropbox update, if you accidentally click to make a folder available offline, it's impossible to stop it. I live in a rural back-of-beyond with supercrap broadband and it kills my connection. You could do this on the previous version and not being able to do this is a total pain in the arse. My second suggestion is that the UI for whether something's available off or online are goofy – sometimes you get a green tick, sometimes you get nothing (whether it's on or offline). 

The post-Ventura update generally feels half-finished despite being live for a solid year or so.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ginodimeo - thanks for your feedback on this.

It's been logged in our system and you can let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ginodimeo
Helpful | Level 7

Can Dropbox actually act on these suggestions – the update has made Dropbox less user-friendly for Mac and I've been posting about this for a year, as have others.

New member | Level 2

Asking this again as I've seen others ask the same thing but NOTHING has been done about it. Or at least nothing I have been able to find. It has already ruined my work twice before and has made my life miserable. 

SEE BELOW:

Right now it's a huge flaw you cannot cancel the 'make available offline' download mid-process. Especially since it's so easy to accidentally click the 'cloud' icons on MacOS and suddenly have a whole folder of files downloading. I work in production and regularly have folders containing hundreds of gigabytes worth of data in them, and have accidentally made folders 'available offline' several times now...resulting in my computer spending hours or days downloading files only for me to make them 'online only' once again...

This is a HUGE issue and needs to be addressed immediately or I'll cancel my account and find alternatives.

Please sort it out or show me how to fix it if a fix is available...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

1869734 New member | Level 2
    ginodimeo Helpful | Level 7
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?