cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace thumbnail on a video upload

Replace thumbnail on a video upload

ch_bt
Helpful | Level 5

Hello, I am uploading demo videos to share with clients. The thumbnail / static image on each video is random and is not taking the first image (which is a title card). I am getting awkward shots of our speakers in the still images, and they are not the most attractive thumbnails to share with clients. Is there any way to choose what screen the thumbnail comes from and/or replace this image? Thank you!

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

@ch_bt wrote:

Is there any way to choose what screen the thumbnail comes from and/or replace this image?

No, there isn't. The thumbnail is generated from a frame at about the 8 second mark. There's no way to change that.

bb5d7bc59579e58e161eae64ee700904.png

ch_bt
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you! We will edit our videos to keep the title card up for 8 or 9 seconds vs. 5 seconds, so hopefully we can work around it. 

joelsnewton
New member | Level 2

Any chance this is changing in the future? I just ran into the same problem on a video where I don't want to add 8 seconds to the beginning.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @joelsnewton, currently, there isn't any information on this matter.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BigSlick
New member | Level 2
I agree 100% and suggested a change to dropbox.
The thumbnail should be the first frame of the video of course!
I am having the same problem and wasted hours trying to get around this bug.

Boss Mama
New member | Level 2
Totally agree. Who wants to chew up 8 valuable seconds of video to appease this thumbnail issue or indeed give the spoiler in a thumbnail before the video is viewed - which is my gripe! I wont be messing up the flow of my content to correct this. Dropbox you need to up your game on this. We take the time in video editing to present this suitably for our clients with a cover pic or title so it’s common sense for your application to be consistent with that.

unger15
New member | Level 2

I actually found a workaround for this, but I'm trying to remember.  I have 5 videos uploaded with the title screen in advance of 8 seconds.  Just uploaded my 6th, but the last one was almost 2 years ago, so I'm trying to figure it all out again.  I make the videos on iMovie (older version), which allows you to update the thumbnail via the "Get Info" menu for the movie file.  But when I upload to Dropbox Replay, it reverts to the 8 sec spot.  When I figure it out, I'll repost.

unger15
New member | Level 2

Ok, posted too soon!  When you open your video, play to the part of the video you want in your thumbnail.  Then in the upper right selection tab (below "Share") is an icon that looks like an image background setting... that's the "set frame as thumbnail" option.  Try it out!

unger15_0-1725686601760.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

unger15 New member | Level 2
    Boss Mama New member | Level 2
    BigSlick New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?