cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Storing videos for a YT-like platform

Storing videos for a YT-like platform

roguitar88
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, there. I was searching for a solution to host videos for my YouTube-like platform and I found Dropbox. Not only host, but also something that serves them, so that they can be accessed by the viewers (in this particular case, I suppose that the maximum number of viewers will be 10,000). So I guess it will envolve some amount of data traffic. However, I will use the storage for basically two actions: upload the videos, then retrieve the videos (in this case from Brazil, that is where the viewers will be). Maybe I'll need some CDN service on the side, too. I don't know if Dropbox has a mirror server in Brazil... there must be some. I even picked the 3TB plan (Essentials, for the beginning), but in reality, the mininum I need is 10TB. However, beforehand I want to make sure this is the right place for me. For example, let's suppose I upload a video file (in this case a MP4 one). I even took that test, and I could copy the link... Something like "https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/code123/file.mp4?rlkey=key546&dl=0". But I need to embed the link in my video player, so I had to do this: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/scl/fi/code123/file.mp4?rlkey=key546&dl=0".  Ok, so far so good. The matter is that those links can be publicly accessed. Is there any way of protecting their accesses via API? And speaking of APIs, does Dropbox offer any API for those actions: upload, get the video link for embed, delete the video, and create/delete folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

I dont think Dropbox will work here @roguitar88 - simply due to the bandwidth required. 

Dropbox on all account has daily bandwidth limits which I suspect will be hit pretty easily given your target audience of 10,000 viewers. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark
Super User II

I dont think Dropbox will work here @roguitar88 - simply due to the bandwidth required. 

Dropbox on all account has daily bandwidth limits which I suspect will be hit pretty easily given your target audience of 10,000 viewers. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

roguitar88
Explorer | Level 4

It seems to me you're right. The issue here would be the bandwidth. I'd better look for another solution. Thanks.

Need more support?