cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client is asked to log-in to access my shared file

My client is asked to log-in to access my shared file

johniwhite
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi There,

I'm trying to get files to a client urgently for a press deadline.

I shared a link to files—the usual way—and my client clicked the link from his email but he was asked to log-in. He said,

"other drop box things I get open – this requires I log in with a new password. No time."

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

John

16 Replies 16

Derek W.5
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is not what I am seeing. Not sure how to attach a screenshot. Thanks.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Derek W.5, you should be able to add a screenshot through the camera icon (insert photos option) within your reply box.

While we're at it, could you confirm you're following these steps to share your files?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

m-nakanishi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I informed a friend of a shared link to give him a large file, but when he clicked on the link, he was now asked to log in, which was not necessary before. Have the specifications changed?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @m-nakanishi, thanks for joining our Community!

Can you double-check the link settings, to make sure you've sent them a "can view" and not a "can edit" link instead?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Excalibur100
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I created a picture folder. I have tried the following 2 ways to share the folder: (1) I clicked on the share icon that's on the same line as the folder I created, changed edit to view, added a list of recipients, added a message and sent it out; (2) I copied the view link, pasted it into an email message that I sent to the same list of recipients as in (1) above. When I check manage permissions, everyone except me is listed as view.  Problem is that I've been told via multiple chat sessions that the recipients don't need to have a Dropbox account in order to view my folder's contents.  Unfortunately, that not what my recipients are telling me.  They are being asked to create a Dropbox account.  People who try to view the folder that was shared via the share icon, are having an email sent to me asking me to approve their access.  For those clicking on the link I copied and pasted into an email, they are being taken to a Dropbox login screen.  Since I had already identified everyone as having "view only" permission on the folder, why aren't they being taken directly to the folder I've granted them permission to view?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Excalibur100, thanks for reaching out to us today!

Sharing the folder in the first way, even though the permissions are set to "can view", would indeed require your recipients to login to Dropbox.

Sharing a link to the folder, though, with "can view" permissions, shouldn't require them to login.

It may prompt them to, but they should be able to skip/close the prompt.

Can you double-check to confirm that you followed these steps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

This is a great answer that @Rich has provided.  I only want to add one important thing to the link sharing option mentioned.  For the link to provide access all recipients without them having to log in, make sure the "Who Can Access" link setting is set to "Anyone with Link".   

Exact format and options may vary slightly depending on the link type and if you're on a team or individual plan, but here is a picture for reference from a Pro account for a view only access file link.

CLsD5wUk.png

If your link settings are correct and your recipients are still having to login to view, then please contact Dropbox support so they can walk through your exact issue with you in detail.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JasonSilverDBX Dropbox Product Manager
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Excalibur100 New member | Level 2
    m-nakanishi New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?