cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MacBook Air won't sync

MacBook Air won't sync

dsuisman
Helpful | Level 6

Recently, my MacBook Air stopped syncing. The dropdown from the menu bar says Syncing... but: 1) it doesn't show the number of files it's syncing, as it usually does, and 2) it's NOT syncing (i.e., there's no activity, no matter how long I wait).

My computer is a MacBook Air M2, running Sonoma 14.1.1.

I tried deleting/uninstalling Dropbox, then reinstalling it, but it's the same situation, stuck Syncing... with nothing happening. 

I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dsuisman
Helpful | Level 6

I went to Preferences > Accounts and signed out of my Dropbox account. Then I relaunched the Dropbox desktop app and it *looks* like it's now syncing. I'll let you know if the problem persists but it appears fixed.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dsuisman! Thanks for posting here.

If you add a small file within your local Dropbox folder, can you see it on www.dropbox.com after that? 

If you click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, and go to "Sync History", do you see any errors there?

Also, can you please right click on your local Dropbox folder, go to “Get info”, and send me a screenshot of the next window you’ll see? 

Keep me posted.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dsuisman
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Nancy,

1. No, if I add a file to my local Dropbox folder, it doesn't appear on dropbox.com. Also, in Finder, that folder is listed with a icon next to it which has an exclamation mark in it. (There are two folders that have clouds next to them without exclamation marks, and the rest of the files in the folder have green check marks next to them.)

2. No, there are no errors visible in my Sync History. The files listed just end 9 days ago (right before this problem began).

3. I don’t see a button to attach a screenshot, but here’s what I see:

a) My Dropbox folder is located here:

~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

b) Permissions are as follows: i) Everyone=Custom, and ii) my username=Read & Write

dsuisman
Helpful | Level 6

(Correction: I meant, in #1, the new *file* I added (not folder) appears in Finder with a icon next to it which has an exclamation mark in it.)

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dsuisman, thanks for all the info! 

You should be able to click on our camera-like little icon, and attach your content here. It should look something like that:

Now as for your Dropbox folder, when you check its properties, how many files do you see in there? 

You can also try to also make sure that all other apps are closed and that there's no antivirus, firewall, VPN etc. running, and then start the Dropbox app again.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

dsuisman
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

Attached are some screenshots of what I"m seeing. My Dropbox folder is 207GB in size. Firewall is inactive. I don't think I'm running an antivirus software or VPN. I'm completely stumped.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 8.58.31 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-27 at 8.57.22 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-27 at 8.53.24 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-27 at 8.51.07 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-27 at 8.18.01 AM.png

cya2
Explorer | Level 3

😢
I seems to have a same problem too.

Stopped syncing suddenly yesterday.
Mine is macbook pro M1, Sonoma 14.1.1.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dsuisman, thanks for the additional info and the screenshots and sorry to see you're having the same issue, @cya2.

Can you both please try the steps listed in this post, to see if they help?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dsuisman
Helpful | Level 6

I went to Preferences > Accounts and signed out of my Dropbox account. Then I relaunched the Dropbox desktop app and it *looks* like it's now syncing. I'll let you know if the problem persists but it appears fixed.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Happy to hear that, @dsuisman!

If the issue does return, make sure to let us know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?