cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop Dropbox from syncing to my iPad?

How can I stop Dropbox from syncing to my iPad?

Elisa Adams
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I need Dropbox to stop synching files to my iPad because I have run out of space. I stopped it on my laptop but it didn't solve the problem. HELP! Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Elisa Adams wrote:

If I uninstall and reinstall the app, will any of the files in my Dropbox be deleted?

No, your files will not be deleted from your account.

Also, if I mark them to be available offline, what does that mean? Where could I access them?

Marking a file as available offline downloads the file to your device so it can be accessed when you're not connected to the Internet. You access these files right within the Dropbox app from the Offline tab at the top of the Home screen.

How long before the files I've opened on my iPad disappear? They don't seem to have done so yet, and some of them have been there for several months.

I don't know that there's a published time frame.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Elisa Adams wrote:

I need Dropbox to stop synching files to my iPad because I have run out of space. I stopped it on my laptop but it didn't solve the problem.

Dropbox doesn't sync the same way on mobile devices as it does on your laptop. The Dropbox mobile app just allows you to view the content in your account. It doesn't sync files. The only files that are saved to your iPad are the ones you open (since they needed to be stored locally to open them) or those that you mark as available offline. Files you open are saved for a short time before being deleted automatically.

If Dropbox is taking up too much space on your iPad, you can either try to clear the cache from the Settings page in the app, or uninstall an reinstall the app. If you take the uninstall/reinstall route, any files you have saved for offline use will need to be marked as such again.

Elisa Adams
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you so much. If I uninstall and reinstall the app, will any of the files in my Dropbox be deleted? Also, if I mark them to be available offline, what does that mean? Where could I access them? I really appreciate your help! Thanks. 

Elisa Adams
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In addition to my questions above, may I add another? How long before the files I've opened on my iPad disappear? They don't seem to have done so yet, and some of them have been there for several months. I can't delete them myself even though I don't need them anymore because they're client files in the client's Dropbox--they're not mine. Thanks again!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Elisa Adams wrote:

If I uninstall and reinstall the app, will any of the files in my Dropbox be deleted?

No, your files will not be deleted from your account.

Also, if I mark them to be available offline, what does that mean? Where could I access them?

Marking a file as available offline downloads the file to your device so it can be accessed when you're not connected to the Internet. You access these files right within the Dropbox app from the Offline tab at the top of the Home screen.

How long before the files I've opened on my iPad disappear? They don't seem to have done so yet, and some of them have been there for several months.

I don't know that there's a published time frame.

Elisa Adams
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you again--this is really helpful and I appreciate it! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Elisa Adams Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?