cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Saving Issues (Adobe Audition)

File Saving Issues (Adobe Audition)

ThomasGB
Explorer | Level 4

Hi folks! 

I've been running into exactly the same issue as Johnny in the below thread:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/File-saving-problems-audio-and-word/td-p/42155...

Was there any resolution to this? Adobe Audition is my #1 most used program - I record voiceover for a living and use Dropbox for sending files to clients - and the issue seems to have gotten worse lately, for whatever reason. 

14 Replies 14

mikepav
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I am a Dropbox user on multiple devices with different Operating systems, and am seeing the same error on some PCs - Windows 10 or 11 - but not on others.  I have seen this with Adobe Audition and Microsoft Word.

In Word, I may open a file I have downloaded from a website, or opened from a locally-saved Dropbox folder.  After editing, when I Save As, and rename the file, the save never takes place.  In Audition, if I open a local audio file, edit, and save as something completely different, I get an error message saving the disk is full or it cannot write to disk.

I've seen some users here suggest to Pause Sync, which takes care of the problem, but then I have to remember to resume, or my work is not saved to the cloud.  This is an unnecessary extra step, and not a good solution.  I have noticed sometimes after MULTIPLE attempts the file will eventually save.  Also, saving the file with the SAME name does not seem to cause an error, but sometimes I want to keep the original file, and save the new once (hence, using Save As).

I have had this problem on Windows 10 and 11 PCs, but also have had Windows 10 and 11 PCs that have NOT had this problem.  So there seems to be no reason why.  Other than the issues have happened with newer installs of Dropbox (i.e., the last year) as opposed to machines I have had it on for several years (3-4).

Any suggestions?  Is there a setting perhaps that should be changed?  Is Dropbox maybe creating a temp file that can't be accessed?  I run an audio-driven website featuring many short-form interviews and also have to edit quickly in the field and this is a major inconvenience.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ThomasGB, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community today.

Are you also getting the same error message? Can you send us a screenshot, so we can check it out?

Also, what is the sync status and version of the Dropbox application on your computer?

You can see that by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.

Thanks.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mikepav, thanks for reaching out.

I merged your post to this thread, which seems relevant.

Can you check the versions of the Dropbox application installed on your computers as well as the sync status and let me know?

On Windows computers, you can see that when hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

ThomasGB
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Hannah,

Apologies for the wait on this - hectic couple of weeks! 

Here's a few screenshots of the errors I'm running into. 

error messageerror messagefile pathfile path

The sync status is "up to date", and I'm on version 148.3.4504. 

Let me know if there's any other details you need - appreciate you looking into it! 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ThomasGB, thanks for the info, I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance on this matter.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mikepav
Explorer | Level 3

Hannah,

One is a Dell Laptop running Windows 10 Home with Dropbox version 147.4.4800.  That has no syncing issues.  This is an "older" computer, about 4 years old.  The others are new within the last year.  But both have the same version of Dropbox as the older one, as all have been updated appropriately.

The other is an HP Desktop, also running Windows 10 Home and Dropbox version 147.4.4800.  That one has issues.

On the third, it's a Dell PC I have at my work office, running Windows 10 Enterprise, and Dropbox 147.4.4800.  Also issues.

When using Adobe audition, I have created or opened a WAV file for example.  When I go to use "Save As" and save as an MP3, I get:

mikepav_1-1651720029145.png

When using Word, if I open a file, and try to Save As to rename it, the file simply does not save.  There is no warning.  Though I have learned to look at the name of the document at the top of the Word window.  If I see it is not the new name, I know it hasn't saved.  It sometimes takes three tries to get this done.  Not sure why this is?

-Mike

mikepav
Explorer | Level 3

I should add two things.  There is NO issue if I save the file as the SAME name and with the SAME properties.

Inotherwords, if I open a WAV file called "sound bite" and use Save (not Save As) it works fine.

If I change it to MP3, or change the name, it gives me trouble.  (Not always, but at least half the time or more.)

Additionally, if I temporarily pause syncing, and I save with a new format or new properties, it is ok, since it's just being saved locally until I allow it to sync.  Once I allow sync, it works fine.

Mike

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mikepav, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please try reinstalling the desktop app on the affected computers and let me know how it goes?

If you find that this is still happening, you could try pausing the syncing process when working on those files or quit the app and relaunch it once you're done with your edits.

Keep us posted anyhow!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mikepav
Explorer | Level 3

All are using 149.4.4568

All Sync settings are the same.  All files are saved locally.

The problem goes away when I turn off Sync.  Files save OK then.

When sync is active, I have problems about half the time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

djhaystack New member | Level 2
    plasticbox Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Cyberlearn New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?