cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox link vs Transfer & Expiration of Transfer

Dropbox link vs Transfer & Expiration of Transfer

JST-
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We used to create and share a link to a Dropbox folder.  Recently that was no longer possible and now when we share, it arrives as a "Dropbox Transfer."

Now we receive notices of the transfer expiring.  It's not really an issue, the files are used right away and it won't usually need extending.

1. Is the old link the new transfer?  

2. Is there a way to get back to simply sharing the link?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@JST- wrote:

Is there somewhere you can guide me to that explains the transfer better, so I understand the difference and why one might choose transfer?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@JST- wrote:

We used to create and share a link to a Dropbox folder.  Recently that was no longer possible and now when we share, it arrives as a "Dropbox Transfer."

Transfer hasn't replaced shared links. It's just another method of sending files to someone. You can still create shared links to your files and folder, just as you always could.

When you say it was no longer possible to create a shared link, what steps were you following and what happened that it wouldn't create a link for you?

JST-
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We zipped the files in to a folder.  Right click, copy link... and put it into an email.

I just recreated the situation and now it is allowed again.  Odd.

I will presume it was a temporary glitch.  We don't need the files again, so I will let the transfer expire.

Is there somewhere you can guide me to that explains the transfer better, so I understand the difference and why one might choose transfer? Maybe down the road it's more useful for something?

Thank you.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@JST- wrote:

Is there somewhere you can guide me to that explains the transfer better, so I understand the difference and why one might choose transfer?

Need more support?