cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find recent photographs and videos on my MacBook Pro

Can't find recent photographs and videos on my MacBook Pro

Mary53
Explorer | Level 4

Out of the blue my photo and video library has disappeared from my dropbox on MacBook Pro.  I get the last three months (Aug/July/June) and nothing more.  I need to have constant access to my library of photos but they seemed to have disappeared.  All the photos are there on my iPad and Samsung phone but not on my MacBook Pro (2015 version).  I have contacted Dropbox but not got any satisfactory response so far.  Any suggestions?

15 Replies 15

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Mary53, thanks for reaching out!

Don't worry, we'll find out why those files aren't showing.

If you could send a screenshot showing the most recent dated items in the list view, and a screenshot of the app sync status that would be great!

Also, maybe if you change the Finder view to show "list", and toggle the file order by date, do the latest files appear?

Let us know what you find!

Calvin
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mary53
Explorer | Level 4

Dear Alvin

Thank you for responding to my problem.  I am UK based, there is a time difference between here and the US, hence the delay in getting back to you – I was fast asleep!

This is my situation.

I am a personal plus dropbox user

I have 2TB of storage.  I have used 70.1% of that storage (1.4TB).

I take my videos and photos on my Ipad and Samsung Galaxy phone and immediately upload them to dropbox where they appear very quickly. 

I have lots and lots of files and folders on my desktop – most containing many photographs used for illustrative purposes.  These take up a lot of memory/storage so I have not synched many desktop files to Dropbox as my photos and videos are already taking up most of the space.  I usually have Sync on pause so that my desktop files do not upload to Dropbox.

Up til now my photos and videos have displayed perfectly on Dropbox on my three devices – a MacBook Pro Lap Top, a Samsung Galaxy phone, and my Ipad.  The photos and videos go back to 2011.  They are still appearing OK on the Ipad dropbox, and on my phone. (Additionally I also have  Google Photos and Photos on my Ipad – they store any films or photos taken on the Ipad.)

The problem lies with the MacBook Pro dropbox.

(1) only the last three months of videos and photos are showing. 

(2) If I try to open any other photos or videos it says Zero Bytes and will not open.  I have not deleted any photos or videos so cannot understand why anything older than 3 months is showing as Zero Bytes.

I will take some photos and download them for you. 

1. Zero Bytes – worrying! – I cannot open these photos.

Mary53_4-1691135409304.png

(2) Camera Uploads

Mary53_5-1691135409304.png

(3) The dropbox is displaying the last three months worth of photos and movies but strangely recent ones (yesterday) are appearing as 2010 and 2009 – it does not make sense.

Mary53_6-1691135409304.png

(4) Sync Pause

Mary53_7-1691135409304.png

What do I need to do to restore my photos and videos? 

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Mary53, the images are too small to see anything on them.

Are you on the newer version of the Dropbox desktop application for Mac OS? Is the Dropbox folder located in the CloudStorage location?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mary53
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

My MacBook Pro is the Mac Os Monterey Version 12.6.7.

I don't know if my dropbox is the newer version of the dropbox desk top application for Mac Os.  How do I find out?

I don't know if my dropbox folder is located in the Cloud Storage - but I don't think it is as cloud storage says that back up and sync is no longer available - but that has been the case since 2022 so I don't think that is the problem as I had access to all my files until a few days ago.

Mary53
Explorer | Level 4

I have been trying to send the photos. First I compressed them - no good (file sizes still too big) then I converted them to pdfs no good would not accept them.  How can I send them to you?  Links also no good to send.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you right click the Dropbox folder in Finder, and then choose 'Get info', you should see the full folder path there. Does it mention CloudStorage anywhere?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Mary53
Explorer | Level 4

No it doesn't but cloud storage is greyed out so presumably I do not currently have access to it.  I also have an image in my banner menu of a cloud with an exclamation mark - meaning it is not operating.

Mary53
Explorer | Level 4

There are a number of problems I am having.  (1) No pictures or videos over 3 months old are appearing in my dropbox gallery.  (2) Two pictures I uploaded yesterday are now dated Nov 2010 and Jan 2009 - they appear immediately before June 2023.  I can find my previous photos in Finder but they appear as small icons running along the bottom (like a preview) rather than as fully fledged images which they were before.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you click the Dropbox in the menu bar, what message do you see on the bottom left?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mary53 Explorer | Level 4
    Thabang J M New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?