cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow users to download files, but not save changes to the original folder

Allow users to download files, but not save changes to the original folder

LABurris
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

I want to share a folder with excel docs, images, etc.. I want the recipients to be able to download the data, but I don't want them to make changes and save to the original dropbox folder I shared. How do I do this? The sharing rules in dropbox help pointed me to my overall account settings, but that's not what I needed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@LABurris wrote:

If the link has already been sent, can I restrict to view only?

No. If you go into the Share sheet for a file you'll see a drop-down field where you can specify Can View or Can Edit. The links created for each method (viewing or editing) are separate from each other. If you want to change from view to edit or vice versa, you create a new link for the desired access.

dbe3aa351d5743d946097267e7250d9c.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@LABurris wrote:

I want to share a folder with excel docs, images, etc.. I want the recipients to be able to download the data, but I don't want them to make changes and save to the original dropbox folder I shared.

Send the recipients a view-only shared link. They'll be able to view and download the content, but won't be able to modify the folder in your account.

LABurris
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Screenshot 2023-02-06 153931.png

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@LABurris wrote:

No. If you go into the Share sheet for a file you'll see a drop-down field where you can specify Can View or Can Edit. The links created for each method (viewing or editing) are separate from each other. If you want to change from view to edit or vice versa, you create a new link for the desired access.

dbe3aa351d5743d946097267e7250d9c.png

LABurris
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank you

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LABurris New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?