cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 - Maintain the Desktop App until October 13, 2026

Windows Server 2012 R2 - Maintain the Desktop App until October 13, 2026

CLAL3
New member | Level 2

I would like to request clarification regarding your intention to discontinue the Dropbox Desktop App for the Windows Server 2012 R2 operating system. At this time, we are inclined to maintain it at least until the end of 2026, given that Microsoft has extended the security updates maintenance date to October 13, 2026, as indicated in this link: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-server-2012-r2 

Therefore, I kindly ask if it would be possible for you to maintain this service until October 13, 2026, in line with the expiration plans offered by Microsoft.

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox has never ever actually supported Windows Server clients - the only officially supported Windows clients are 10 and 11. 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/system-requirements

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @CLAL3  - thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

I just wanted to mention that Mark is correct here, as we only support what's listed here

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

CLAL3
New member | Level 2

I understand your response, but my request refers to the fact that we received an automatic email from your technical support regarding the end of support for Microsoft Windows Server systems up to 2012R2. Therefore, even if you are indicating that you only support Windows 10 and 11, I believe there is some inconsistency in the information. Otherwise, why would I have received this email?

Hello Nonna,

We are writing to inform you that Dropbox will limit functionality for the following unsupported versions of Windows Server starting October 22, 2024:

Windows Server 2000
Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2
Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2
It is possible that a member of your team is still active on these versions of Windows Server. We recommend that all users upgrade to Windows 10 or later versions so that Dropbox continues to function properly on their computers.

Although the Dropbox desktop app on Windows Server may continue to work for a while, it is important to note that Windows Server is not supported by Dropbox and the above versions will have limited functionality after October 22, 2024. Please note that Dropbox plans to cease functionality for these versions of Windows Server in May 2025.

Your content will remain securely stored in your Dropbox account. In addition to supported versions, you can continue to access your files through supported web browsers and iOS and Android apps.

What you need to do now: To ensure your team can continue to use Dropbox without interruption, we recommend that affected users upgrade to the latest supported versions of Windows. Here is a link with details on how to upgrade.

Best regards,

The Dropbox Team

Rich
Super User II

@CLAL3 wrote:

Therefore, even if you are indicating that you only support Windows 10 and 11, I believe there is some inconsistency in the information.

I think it's pretty clear. Dropbox does not officially support Windows Server operating systems. Does it work? For the moment, yes, though it's not guaranteed and if you have any problems, Dropbox will not support it. It's even stated in the system requirements. Now they are taking steps to begin blocking old, out-of-date, insecure and unsupported versions of Windows, and since there are versions of Server that are based on those versions of Windows, those Server versions will be blocked as well.

Need more support?