cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Desktop Cannot Open, Uninstall, or Re-Install

Installation Failed Error Code 1073741795

The TechJedi
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I keep getting the same error over and over again.

I have tried every suggested resolution and nothing has worked. Anyone?

TheTechJedi_0-1639185416440.png

150 Replies 150

Kyle mcGill
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Hannah, that is one of the details exacerbating the issue. I can never get past step 2 as every uninstall attempt is met with this every time: 

Capture.PNG

 I cannot uninstall the app to begin with in order to perform a re-install.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the nudge here, @Kyle mcGill.

If you're not able to uninstall Dropbox, please follow these steps:

1. Open the "Task Manager" by right-clicking the taskbar and clicking "Start Task Manager".
  2. Click "Processes", to see if there are any processes associated with Dropbox, that might be preventing it from being uninstalled. (You may need to click "Show processes from all users" to check all processes)
  3. If you see any Dropbox processes, click on the line that references the process to select it and click on "End Process"

Once this is done, try to uninstall once again, to see if it works.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kyle mcGill
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hmm, the only process I see in the list from Dropbox is when I attempt an uninstall:

Capture.PNG

Clicking "end process/task" gets me this:

Capture.PNG

 

Launching the troublshooter retries the uninstall only to get the same result- an uninstall failure.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Kyle mcGill, hope you don’t mind if I jump in. 

Since the same issue persists, I can open a ticket for you and send it over to your Community email address. 

Let me know if that’s alright. 

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Kyle mcGill
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sure Nancy, thank you.
I'll keep an eye out for it.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I just opened a ticket for you! 

When you’ve got some time, please reply back to me, and we’ll further check this.

Cheers.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

mtesta
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Is there ANY update on the original purpose of this thread??? This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm about to just wipe my whole system and start all over again. How does a program that is working perfectly just stop after an update. And why doesn't it happen on my laptop or other devices. Please get us an answer to this ASAP.

AppoCaly
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Any update on this?

Can you at least extend the support of old versions? 120.x worked perfectly fine for all of us. Unfortunately, it would not sync anymore...

mtesta
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Is someone actually working on this??? It’s been weeks with zero answers.  How can that possibly be???

yho123456
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Indeed, first line support and requesting us to open and report tickets in detail went well, using dropbox-snapshot, which did install flawlessly, also worked well. Paying my dropbox subscription also went perfectly. Getting any second (line?) response to the reported issue takes at least a month (if any?). Please Dropbox, I built my private and work environment around cloud accessibility and paid for this. Is there any idea where this error can originate from so that I can resolve it myself? Installers of any other type of software, including dropbox snapshot, work perfectly. Please, even if you do not aim to further fix this, update us so we can cancel our subscription and move on with an alternative, because this affects in particular my professional life seriously.

@Nancy  @Megan   @Emmet (this issue has not been resolved actually)   @Jay    @Hannah 

Need more support?