cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Move Dropbox folder to an existing Dropbox folder

How to move the Dropbox folder to an existing Dropbox path?

DoctorBashir
Helpful | Level 6

I have completed the Advanced Reinstall process for Dropbox on my computer. Before the uninstall, my Dropbox folder was located at: D:\Users\<name>\Dropbox

When I reinstalled Dropbox, I may have missed the the option to select the location of the Dropbox folder. The installation is complete, but the folder is now located at: C:\Users\<name>\Dropbox. When I tried to move the folder to D:\Users\<name>\Dropbox I get the message: Error moving Dropbox. There's already a copy of D:\Users\<name>\Dropbox\desktop.ini here.

Of course there is. How do I make the D:\. location the active one without deleting the files that are there?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DoctorBashir
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Megan ,

I followed the link you specified. The instruction there say to 'Pause Sync'. I may have missed it but I couldn't find that command in version of Dropbox I currently have installed (v203.4.4857).

I decided to uninstall Dropbox and re-install. I found the Advanced Settings I missed before that allowed me to sync to my existing location.

So, all looks good on my end.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DoctorBashir, I hope you're doing well!

There are a couple of ways you can go on about it.

The first being what you already tried but making sure you beforehand rename your existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD. You can see more details about this provided by our superuser Rich here.

The second is following the steps in order to re-link your device to its previous path like so.

In any case, let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DoctorBashir
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Megan ,

I followed the link you specified. The instruction there say to 'Pause Sync'. I may have missed it but I couldn't find that command in version of Dropbox I currently have installed (v203.4.4857).

I decided to uninstall Dropbox and re-install. I found the Advanced Settings I missed before that allowed me to sync to my existing location.

So, all looks good on my end.

Thanks for your help.

Need more support?