cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move the Dropbox folder to an existing Dropbox path?

How to move the Dropbox folder to an existing Dropbox path?

DoctorBashir
Helpful | Level 6

I have completed the Advanced Reinstall process for Dropbox on my computer. Before the uninstall, my Dropbox folder was located at: D:\Users\<name>\Dropbox

When I reinstalled Dropbox, I may have missed the the option to select the location of the Dropbox folder. The installation is complete, but the folder is now located at: C:\Users\<name>\Dropbox. When I tried to move the folder to D:\Users\<name>\Dropbox I get the message: Error moving Dropbox. There's already a copy of D:\Users\<name>\Dropbox\desktop.ini here.

Of course there is. How do I make the D:\. location the active one without deleting the files that are there?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DoctorBashir
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Megan ,

I followed the link you specified. The instruction there say to 'Pause Sync'. I may have missed it but I couldn't find that command in version of Dropbox I currently have installed (v203.4.4857).

I decided to uninstall Dropbox and re-install. I found the Advanced Settings I missed before that allowed me to sync to my existing location.

So, all looks good on my end.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DoctorBashir, I hope you're doing well!

There are a couple of ways you can go on about it.

The first being what you already tried but making sure you beforehand rename your existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD. You can see more details about this provided by our superuser Rich here.

The second is following the steps in order to re-link your device to its previous path like so.

In any case, let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DoctorBashir
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Megan ,

I followed the link you specified. The instruction there say to 'Pause Sync'. I may have missed it but I couldn't find that command in version of Dropbox I currently have installed (v203.4.4857).

I decided to uninstall Dropbox and re-install. I found the Advanced Settings I missed before that allowed me to sync to my existing location.

So, all looks good on my end.

Thanks for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DoctorBashir Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?