cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Support for MacOS 10.12

Dropbox support for MacOS 12.3 - can we finally upgrade?

paul20
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, I cannot find anywhere anyone saying that Dropbox properly supports MacOS 12.3, even though it was released weeks ago and has now been superseded by 12.3.1 with zero-day fixes.  I can find discussion of this question in the past, and I can find several users having significant problems with 12.3 as recently as this morning (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/High-CPU-Usage-after-updating-MacBook-...), but not anywhere where Dropbox can say that 12.3 is actually supported.  As of 3 weeks ago, the most that was said was that it was not fully supported yet.  Since then there has been a conspicuous silence.  (The issue, of course, is that Apple finally completely banned the file system extension Dropbox was using, per what they had been promising for years.)

Is 12.3 officially supported?  What are the limitations associated with running Dropbox in 12.3, if any?

93 Replies 93

UKD
Experienced | Level 12
I don’t actually use the app because it’s a piece of crap. I don’t even know how to reactivate it even I wanted to.

Tirion2K22
Helpful | Level 6

The software on your Mac is also an app(lication), I'm pretty sure you use that right? For me on Mac OS 13.2.1 it works fine now, just took very long for it to be done with the syncing.

UKD
Experienced | Level 12
I have that but no option or invite to upgrade so I’m stuck on the old piece of crap software.

Sigh… so fed up with this company.

Tirion2K22
Helpful | Level 6

Is it dropbox business? If so, did you switch on the option in the admin console?

I got an email before saying I need switch it on at:
Admin console > Settings > Sync > Updates for Dropbox on macOS

Shortly after turning it on I got a notification on my laptop to upgrade my dropbox to the latest Dropbox for Mac OS.

UKD
Experienced | Level 12
I don’t have that option. I have opted in to the early release beta plan though.

Tirion2K22
Helpful | Level 6

I haven't opted into any beta. But I guess they do it in phases then, you should receive an email saying this as soon as you can get it:

We’re writing to let you know that an updated version of Dropbox for macOS is ready. This updated version of the Dropbox app utilizes Apple’s updated File Provider API and fixes issues related to opening online-only files in third-party applications for users on macOS 12.5 or higher—ensuring you have the best Dropbox sync experience.

Before getting started, we highly recommend that all members of your team are on the latest version of macOS. To enable the update for your team, access the Sync settings page in your admin console and toggle on Updates for Dropbox for macOS. Team members will see a notification that appears once they click on the Dropbox icon in their menu bar. To opt in, all team members will need to click Get started and follow the steps prompted.

Expected changes to be aware of before your migration are available here. Please contact your Account Team or Customer Support for additional information.

UKD
Experienced | Level 12

After upgrading and being on the Beta Programme but not receiving any invite or any kind of notification within the app, I spoke to support and had to manually download the updated Dropbox application and then update it.

I have synced everything (was pretty fast considering they say if you have 300,000+ files it can take a really long time) and it is currently "updating" which as usual sucks every ounce of memory and CPU usage out of the machine. Currently I've updated 185,013,044 files and counting...

Not sure exactly what it is updating to be honest. My folder(s) (I have business and personal) are both in the same place as they were, whereas their online support page says that the folders will be moved to here: ~/Library/CloudStorage after updating.

You can see what expected changes are here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Tirion2K22
Helpful | Level 6

If your files aren't in the CloudStorage folder then you probably don't have the right update yet

UKD
Experienced | Level 12

I'm on version v171.3.6099 which apparently is the latest version but Dropbox won;t tell you what the latest version is as far as I can tell.

So if I'm not on the latest version, what the hell is the updating doing. Currently it's on 200,000,000 (that's right, 200 million) files and increasing.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @UKD, let's jump right into this! 

As @Tirion2K22 mentioned before, if your content hasn't been moved to ~/Library/CloudStorage after updating, it seems you're not using the Dropbox for macOS, which utilizes Apple’s updated File Provider API for a more seamless experience.

In order for you to also use this version of Dropbox on the macOS, you would have received a notification, informing and asking you to join.

Now, based on the info you provided, it seems you're using our Beta version. It's also expected since it's not the stable version, that you'd experience the behavior you mentioned, about syncing being stuck. 

That, and the very high number of files that you have (more than the soft limit of 300K) could cause for that syncing performance.

As a first step, I would suggest that you downgrade from the beta version. You can go into your account settings on the Dropbox website and turn Early releases off. After that, install one of the stable builds of the Dropbox application. 

Can you give this a go, and let me know of any updates? 

Thank you! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?