cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox macOS Beta (fileproviderd based Dropbox) is an absolute nightmare!

Dropbox macOS Beta (fileproviderd based Dropbox) is an absolute nightmare!

mwdiers
Helpful | Level 5

I made the mistake of opting in to the Dropbox beta which is based on macOS fileproviderd integration, which the update notice insisted was perfectly safe. It is anything but. For the record, I am on an M1 Max laptop, running Monterey.

This is a disaster. Things seemed to be fine. I had every folder set for offline access, which worked fine for a while. Then today, after a reboot, I lost offline access to the entire Dropbox folder. The files were just gone, and had to be downloaded from scratch.

Despite having everything marked as "make files available offline", Dropbox decided there were no local files at all. Even my sidebar shortcuts to folders in my Dropbox disappeared.

I lost days of work. For whatever reason, any files updated in the last few days were not synced. After the reboot, the new offline versions of those updated files that had not synced (Logic Pro X projects in this case) disappeared, and the only available files were the older online versions. New files were simply missing. Poof, gone! I verified this by checking my Dropbox on the web. Only the old versions of those files were there. None of the new files.

I've had it. I've used Dropbox for years. But now I cannot trust it to do the most basic thing: DON'T DELETE MY DATA!!!! I have always been skeptical about the just-in-time offline file sync. I never trusted it. That's why I marked everything for offline use. But Dropbox, in their infinite wisdom, has removed a universal setting for this. I just had to trust that by marking every folder as offline, my data would remain local. My skepticism was well placed.

I THINK I have a valid Time Machine backup on my Synology. Let's hope this new Cloud location is not excluded from that backup. Otherwise I'm completely screwed.

Regardless, you have lost a customer. I'm not coming back.

41 Replies 41

ilya1
Helpful | Level 6

It been like that for 2 days now Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 4.35.50 PM.png

ilya1
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Megan, it been syncying for two days 

mattrp
Explorer | Level 4

Same issue here. Has been indexing for three days so far and not syncing. Killed dropbox and relaunched and rebooted several times. 

MacBook Air. 13.0.1

VictorYan
Explorer | Level 4

Finally the indexing completed overnight.

However the file synced was two days ago and some app using data two days ago and I need to update the apps again manually.

Podpimp
New member | Level 2

Now, same here:

Mac Studio with fresh Ventura, switched after initial installation of Dropbox to the beta -> indexing and no further synch since 2 days.

I canceled the beta and switched back to regular.

Just confused about the status of the files in ../Library/CloudStorage

Would be helpful to know if they are just the "Offlne Files" or even files with changes that are'nt synched.

Best, Alex

Roman_G
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

I have the same issue.

indexing is running for 2 days now and I have no access to my files.

Did you get a solution?

Thanks

Roman

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ilya1, sorry to jump in, but did you quit and relaunch the app and/or reboot your computer since you first noticed this?

Also, have you ensured that this is not caused by a 3rd party app like a backup or cloud service or an antivirus or firewall for example?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mattrp
Explorer | Level 4

pressing the "Leave Beta" button was the only solution that worked for me

Ovi A.1
Helpful | Level 5
Add me to the list of people seeing Dropbox’s “Indexing” take several days. Yes several days (since Wednesday), I have an iMac 2019 and 2 TB cloud storage (1.6 used).

What’s worse, is my computer has become unusable too. It’s become agonisingly slow and my Bluetooth keeps cutting out every minute for about 10 minutes.

All this happened when I allowed Dropbox to move its folder because Mac OS Ventura.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Ovi A.1, sorry to hear about that! 

Can you let me know the app's syncing status, and version as we speak? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    jscbeeby New member | Level 2
    ilya1 Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?