cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop app not logging in - MacBook

Dropbox desktop app not logging in - MacBook

Simran97
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I recently joined Dropbox and am able to use the web version without any problem

However, the desktop app doesn't seem to be working on my MacBook at all.
It keeps trying to log in, and the loading wheel keeps turning forever and ever. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application thrice already. 

My colleagues do not seem to be facing this issue (on much older laptops)
MacOS - Sonoma 14.1 

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 11.40.06 PMedit.jpg

24 Replies 24

Andrea_sa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi everybody, I have exactly the same problem. Has there been a fix yet? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Andrea_sa, have you tried contacting the support team to investigate this in more detail? 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Simran97
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Andrea, 

I am still not able to log in.
However, please see below the email I have received from the support team:

If you're having connection problems or elements of the Dropbox application that are failing to load, this usually means there is an antivirus, firewall, security program, proxy or VPN blocking the Dropbox desktop client.

If you have any of the mentioned software running, please either add Dropbox to its whitelist, remove Dropbox from its blacklist, or temporarily disable or uninstall them to continue troubleshooting. For more information on firewalls, please see our Help Center article here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/23

The Dropbox client uses SSL to establish a secure connection to our servers. To ensure this is working properly, your system time should be correct and your security applications should allow Dropbox to connect. To learn more, please see our Help Center article here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/159

If you have a proxy set up on your computer or network, please enter your proxy host and port information into the Preferences panel of the Dropbox desktop application.

1) Locate the Dropbox icon and menu from the system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac/Linux).
2) Right-click (Windows/Linux) or click (Mac) on the icon to access the Dropbox desktop application menu.
3) Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar (Windows & Mac).
4) Select "Preferences" from the Dropbox menu. Select the "Proxies" submenu or tab.

Dropbox proxy settings allow you to set the proxy type, server, port, and login information. For example, a common port for proxies is 8080.

Dropbox can also fail to connect due to proxy settings which may have been changed either by other programs or by your network administrator. If you're having connection problems even though you haven't set up a proxy server, try going to the Preferences panel as described above and setting your Dropbox proxy settings to "No proxy." If you have set up a proxy server, please double-check that your system's proxy settings are still correct.

For more information on proxies, view the Dropbox Help Center article here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/21

If the issue persists, it is possible that the issue you are seeing is due to an antivirus or other type of security program blocking Dropbox from connecting to our servers.

To resolve this issue, please try temporarily disabling or uninstalling your antivirus or security program, and then restart your computer.

If the issue is resolved after temporarily disabling or uninstalling your antivirus or security program, you should ensure that you configure these applications not to block Dropbox if you choose to reinstall these.

You should also ensure that your local network connection settings allow access to Dropbox domains. If you are on a corporate network and are not sure if the Dropbox domains are accessible on this network, you may need to contact your company's network administrator or IT. You can view this list of domains used by Dropbox on the Dropbox Help Center article here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/217

Do let me know if any of the above helps you. I'm not sure why mine doesn't work still. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

HI @Simran97, did this information help you to login to your account? If not, have you replied to the support agent regarding this matter?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Andrea_sa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

yes, waiting for their replay. It smells like a bug with the Macos system 

Simran97
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Andrea, 

No it is still not syncing. I am still in touch with Support team but no solution yet.
It's been over 10 days since I am facing this issue and honestly at this point am very frustrated. 

Andrea_sa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Simran97, same here. I need it for work and they are being very slow. I will keep you updated! 

Simran97
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, same here. Not sure if our business team should go ahead with purchasing the annual subscription if the app would not sync on my laptop. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey guys!

I went ahead and located both of your tickets on our system, and also passed my comments to the agents working on your case in regards to this. 

The priority of them has also been raised to "High". If you need anything else, I'll be one post away! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Simran97
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Megan, 

Thankyou for your response. 
I cannot emphasize enough on how frustrating this is getting. It is getting really difficult to get work done in the office because of the Dropbox app not working. 

In the past I have had an issue with another software and the support team actually got on call with me and resolved the issue over team viewer.
Can the same be done here? I have no idea why this is taking too long. 
The support agent working with me on this has been trying her best, but there doesn't seem to be any solution yet. 
I may have uninstalled and reinstalled the app over 15 times already by now. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Christophe92 Explorer | Level 3
    Simran97 Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?