cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"We couldn't open (insert file name here). Wait a bit, then try again"

"We couldn't open (insert file name here). Wait a bit, then try again"

acpenn
New member | Level 2

The subject line captures the error that I am receiving anytime I attempt to open a file stored by DropBox on my PC through the File Explorer. I have tried various media players, VLC, Windows Media Player Legacy, Windows 11 Media Player, 5k Video Player (which plays virtually any extension) - And these are all Mp4 videos, which are compatible with any and every of those players listed.

The strange thing is that this error is intermittent, sometimes the videos load great, other times they provide this error. I have tried it with/without my VPN turned on thinking that perhaps it was an access issue with the VPN IP being active, I use a static IP address so it couldn't be from dynamic IP changing - I'm at a loss.

1 Reply 1

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome aboard our Community, @acpenn

Can you also send over a screenshot of the error, so as to have a visual? 

Out of curiosity, have you tested this with audio files? They don’t present the same error, correct?

Do your video files preview normally on www.dropbox.com?

Finally, I’d like to know the syncing status and app version of your Dropbox app. 

Keep me in the loop for more info.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?