cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

".7z files can't be previewed" message

".7z files can't be previewed" message

wowitt
Explorer | Level 3

I have always been able to preview and extract .7z files on Dropbox. They are small 15 kb or less size files. Today when I attempt to access a .7z file, I am receiving the message ".7z files can't be previewed" . I checked the Help Center and under "File types that preview as a zip file". It states "If your file has one of the following extensions, it will preview as a zip file. Youā€™ll be able to see a list of all folders and files within the zip." The .7z file type is included. What has changed?  I am running version 346.2.6.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @wowitt, I hope you're doing well!

Generally, password protected files cannot be previewed in Dropbox, so you might need to either download them, or remove the password protection in order to preview them.

You can see more info about this here.

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

wowitt
Explorer | Level 3

I updated to version 348.2.4 and have same result.

Mark
Super User II

How are you trying to preview? Website or app on mobile?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

wowitt
Explorer | Level 3

If I go to dropbox.com and I select a 7z encrypted file that is password protected I get a message that it cannot preview a password protected 7z file.

If I go to dropbox.com and I select a 7z file that is not password protected I am able to preview the 7z file.

If I use Windows Explorer and I select the 7z file on the dropbox drive, either password protected or not, I can extract the 7z file.

If I use the Dropbox App on Android (tablet or phone), I cannot preview either password protected or non-pw protected 7z files. 

My only recourse now on Android is to download the 7z encrypted file and then unencrypt the file. Then delete it. Not a very clean solution.

In the very recent past I could use the Dropbox App to preview 7z encrypted and pw protected files. I did this all the time. Something has changed.

Interestingly I can store a 7z encrypted password protected file on google drive and open it with the Zip Extract App that integrates with google drive so that it is a single step process.

Any reason why this has changed for Dropbox App on Android when Help Center states that 7z can be previewed?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @wowitt, I hope you're doing well!

Generally, password protected files cannot be previewed in Dropbox, so you might need to either download them, or remove the password protection in order to preview them.

You can see more info about this here.

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wowitt
Explorer | Level 3

The problem is that the Dropbox App will not even decrypt a non-password protected 7z file. So password is not the issue.

In the past when I accessed these 7z pw-protected files with the Dropbox App, it provided a menu of a couple of Extract options which I could select. I would select one and it would provide a screen to enter the password which would decrypt the 7z file into a txt file. Now regardless whether it is or is not password protected the message I now get is ".7z files can't be previewed" when using the Dropbox App on Android devices. 

So something has changed with Dropbox recently.

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox states that its not supported on mobile apps to open Zip files: https://help.dropbox.com/view-edit/viewable-file-types

So, unless you had an app that was a third party one doing the actual opening it isn't Dropbox.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    wowitt Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?