cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download not allowed

download not allowed

GeorginaPina
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello!

I keep looking for the option but can't find it: how can I block readers from downloading a file? I just need them to be able to read it online, and not allowed to download it.

Is it possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@GeorginaPina wrote:

Hello!

How can I block readers from downloading a file? I just need them to be able to read it online, and not allowed to download it.

Hello, @GeorginaPina...

Yes, you can set a password to prevent people from viewing or downloading a file/folder.  However, if you need them to be able to VIEW the files/folders then you'll have to give them the password (which means they can download the files/folders).

Below screenshot is from the Shared Links: view-only access Help Center article:

DBx_ViewOnlyAccess_001.png

Take a look at my example folder that uses a password to access it, once inside the folder you should see a download button:

SHARING A FOLDER LINK THAT'S PASSWORD PROTECTED:

If you'd like to see how a LINK to a Folder/File with a password is used then look at this zzExampleFolder.

• Password = share

You can view or download everything in my example folder.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

You can have set folder permissions.    https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/folder-view-only-permissions  also look at https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/view-only-access

I would suggest using folders and set a password to it.  I just tested and there is a download button if you don't set a password.  So I suggest setting an unrecognizable password

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

GeorginaPina
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks! Very helpful, I read through it and the password feature is available for Dropbox Business.

🙂

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@GeorginaPina wrote:

Hello!

How can I block readers from downloading a file? I just need them to be able to read it online, and not allowed to download it.

Hello, @GeorginaPina...

Yes, you can set a password to prevent people from viewing or downloading a file/folder.  However, if you need them to be able to VIEW the files/folders then you'll have to give them the password (which means they can download the files/folders).

Below screenshot is from the Shared Links: view-only access Help Center article:

DBx_ViewOnlyAccess_001.png

Take a look at my example folder that uses a password to access it, once inside the folder you should see a download button:

SHARING A FOLDER LINK THAT'S PASSWORD PROTECTED:

If you'd like to see how a LINK to a Folder/File with a password is used then look at this zzExampleFolder.

• Password = share

You can view or download everything in my example folder.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks  310EI

you are correct as usual.  I didn't think this thru.. :=(

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@Chris_J wrote:

Thanks  310EI

you are correct as usual.  I didn't think this thru.. :=(

Hello, @Chris_J...

Not sure that I'm correct as usual but thanks for saying as much.  No worries... you made me think twice to investigate in case something changed internally :nerd:

GeorginaPina
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Good point! And thanks for the example folder. I guess then that what I'm looking for is not possible in dropbox. I'll keep searching for alternative options.

Thank you both!!

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@GeorginaPina wrote:

Good point! And thanks for the example folder.

I guess then that what I'm looking for is not possible in dropbox. I'll keep searching for alternative options.

Thank you both!!

Hello, @GeorginaPina...

You're welcome for the example folder.

It's not just Dropbox, if you share a file via the internet then it can be downloaded (one way or another).  However, you could consider protecting your sensitive documents to be read-only by assigning a password to prevent modifications.  It's not a perfect solution but it can be effective (example article below).

RELATED ARTICLE:

Good luck with your search.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

310EI Super User
    GeorginaPina New member | Level 2
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?