cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong file version opens

Wrong file version opens

sporwancher
Explorer | Level 3

I have an Excel file in my dropbox folder that I reference on a daily basis from my work Windows desktop, my home Mac desktop, and my iPhone. 

I have been updating this file daily for the last few weeks. Today, when I open the file, Excel opens and shows me a much older version. Roughly 90% of my added data is not showing when I open the file.

Oddly, the "Preview" of the file on my desktop explorer window properly shows the current version. Also, If I right-click on the file to view the "Previous Versions", the "Current Version" shows a preview with the proper information.

Why can't I get the "current version" file to actually open, all of the sudden? Thanks in advance!

19 Replies 19

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @sporwancher,

From what you mentioned it sounds like you might be updating this file from the Dropbox folder locally on your computer, is that right?

If so, can you let me know the current sync status and version of the desktop app that you have installed? It may be that the desktop app isn't running on your computer or there may be an error in syncing that file.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sporwancher
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Daphne. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am updating from the Dropbox folder.

Current Sync Status: Up to Date

Version: 78.4.119 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that info @sporwancher!

Can you just clarify for me then where you are opening the file and seeing the outdated version? Is this via the website or another device, and which version do you see when accessing the file in both of these locations?

Is the most recent version of the file on your desktop saved within your Dropbox folder or was it perhaps saved to a different location when editing it?

Looking forward to your reply! 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sporwancher
Explorer | Level 3

I was saving and opening the file into the Dropbox folder on my desktop. This is the way I have been using Dropbox between multiple devices for many years now, on a nearly daily basis. I have never had this happen.

However, I am just going to stop troubleshooting this. I was able to restore the version prior to the latest version, and I know what changes I made since then. So, I was able to get it back to where I needed it.

Thank you for your help with this, whatever it was!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sporwancher,

Thanks for keeping me posted here, I'm glad to hear that you've worked through it on your end!

If you have any other questions then please feel free to give me a nudge here.

Have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Redsnapper
Explorer | Level 4
I just started having (Feb 20, 2020) what sounds like the same problem. An Excel file I edit daily works correctly on my Windows desktop computer(s), but when I preview the file on my Pixel, I see a 3-day stale version. Yet if I launch Excel (on the Pixel) to actually edit the file, I see the correct, current version! It's as if Excel can see the synced version, but the Files preview browser cannot! I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app - no difference! I've copied the file to a new folder, and the copy retains the same odd behavior. It is very puzzling. This just started 3 days ago.

Redsnapper
Explorer | Level 4
To clarify, I should add - changes I've made to the file *on the Pixel* correctly propagate to the other computers, where the preview version continues to agree with the editable version; but I can only see the changes on the Pixel itself if I enter edit mode. To reiterate, ONLY in edit mode can I view the current version of the file on the Pixel, whereas I always can view the current version on my other computers even when the edits were made on the Pixel. Even a *copy* of the edited file.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Redsnapper, thanks for joining us here!

The behaviour you're describing is very strange indeed. :thinking:

Can you just clarify for me exactly what you're referring to when you mention that the preview if the file is incorrect?

Would this be the file thumbnail, as you said that this persists outside of the Dropbox folder too?

If you close the desktop app on your device, do you see the same issue with the preview of the file? You can close the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Redsnapper
Explorer | Level 4
Daphne,

First of all, in this context when I'm looking at files on my Pixel, it's exclusively through the Dropbox App. So, by "preview" mode I simply mean the default view of the file you get when you first click on its icon within the Dropbox App. Perhaps "read-only" would be a better term?
You asked: "Would this be the file thumbnail, as you said that this persists outside of the Dropbox folder too?" I don't remember saying that, but I may not have been clear - I have no visibility of any file on my phone outside the Dropbox App, so the question is moot.
It's not simply a thumbnail (at least, I wouldn't call it that), its the entire file. If it's an Excel file, you can look at any sheet (if there are multiple worksheets); you can scroll around and look at charts and graphs, you just aren't in "edit" mode yet. Note: you have the option of telling Dropbox whether you want to always open files in Excel or Sheets, and once you've set this preference, all you have to do is click in any cell and immediately the file opens in Excel (or Sheets - or if you haven't yet set a permanent preference, you have to answer the dialog as to which program you want to use for editing). I've switched between Excel and Sheets and the problem persists.
As for closing Dropbox and reopening it, yes, I've tried that with no apparent effect. I've even tried uninstalling the app entirely and then reinstalling it, and, astoundingly, I still get the Feb 16 version of my file until I click on a cell and it opens for editing in Excel.
Even in list view, the date next to the file icon will say "last edited a few seconds ago", but if I click on the file icon, what opens for viewing (as described above) is the Feb 16 version! It also doesn't seem to matter whether I switch the settings from "autosave" to manual save; any changes (however saved) are not reflected in the default opened-view but only in the edit-mode view.
HOWEVER, I've made one small discovery. This problem seems to have appeared with the Android Dropbox App version released on or about Feb 16, the new version of Dropbox being the one that allows you to create "spaces" (I'll call them workspaces) where you can pin a frequently used file into a named workspace for quicker, even immediate, access. I hadn't tried using that new feature yet, but when I tried using it on that specific file, guess what? The problem went away! Now, when I click on the file icon in the workspace, the read-only version is indeed the most recently saved version! So I think this points to the new release of Dropbox (with the workspace feature) as the root cause of the problem. For frequently used files, the new, convenient workspace feature seems to have the accidental side-effect of eliminating a synchronization problem that now exists for files you don't put in a convenient workspace. For frequently accessed files, it is indeed convenient and you don't notice any problem at all. It's only for files you access infrequently that you might beat your head against the wall trying to figure out why you can't see your most recent changes on your Android app, even though you can see them everywhere else.
Interestingly, any edits I now make through the "workspace" are immediately reflected in the default view through the workspace (problem solved), but if I browse my way to the actual file location and make an edit directly there, I still have the problem; not only that, but the default view in the workspace only shows the most recent edits made through the workspace (until I switch to edit mode). It's as if there are now two different read-only views of the file - one for the workspace, and different one for the actual location. The read-only view through the workspace works correctly, but the read-only view at the actual file location has lost synchronization.

Roger
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    GasparM Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?