cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Link / "scl" to "s"

Shared Link / "scl" to "s"

Pysio13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello. My question concerns my recent issue with file sharing. Usually, my links were generated in this way: 'https://www.dropbox.com/s/'. However, lately, every file is being generated in this way: 'https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/'. Do you know a way to restore the old way of generating links? I just need old way of links, because game can't read new links

Greet 😛

211 Replies 211

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@stiletto2 wrote:

...   The only choice I then make is to right click on a dropbox file and chose the "copy dropbox link" option in the resulting dropdown which fills the buffer with same kind of "scl" type link.  So changing the option to "can view" didn't change the result. ...

"Didn't change the result." 🧐 Hm... What that means? Did this result left there from before or the link is just created? As I said:

@Здравко wrote:

... If the link is already created you may need to clear it and recreate proper link type anew. ...

In other words, changing the default link type reflects to all new created link that use creation by default. If you have some links already created they stay as they are; the setting change is not retroactive! So if you have some link (doesn't matter what type) once you click "Copy link", the link's gonna be just copied as is. To be certain new link will be created for particular file (link of type you have selected), make sure there is no any existing link and remove/revoke it if any (as seems to be). 🙋

Hope this helps.

stiletto2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  After I changed the Sharing option to "can view",  I created a new folder in Dropbox.  I then created a new .jpg file on my computer and copied it to the new dropbox folder.   In this way, a new link was established using the new sharing option.  I then did a copy of the new dropbox link for that new .jpg file.  Unfortunately, the new link was still an "scl" type link and unusable for full screen posting in various forums.

bleach hawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've also changed the default permission for newly created links to 'view', but they are still generated with scl. So no fix as of yet..

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hm.. 🤔 It's not the first time something new to be on go and different behavior to be observed on different accounts (showing different imperfections until the things get stick together). In my account it works:

изображение.png

изображение.png

Entire setup is as I described before and regular link (can read) brings up.

Seems for some accounts it's still a mess (oh.. sorry 😁- I mean new feature roll out; a new feature that all Dropboxers are not informed yet about). 🤷 That's it, unfortunately.

Let's hope this will finish soon. Good luck to all.

SoporteTi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello:

I am a .Net developer, I am having an issue with image visualizations. When I upload an image and copy the link it is generated in a different way:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qeq1asd2k5nbvtt7v3j5h/p1.png?dl=0&rlkey=ytxdhetkb3yakyjnpxcasdhb5

Previously it was generated this way:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aapv1qql3afl8aj/p1.png?dl=0

My problem is that when I wanted to visualize the images in my web, I only replaced www. by dl. With the new links I can't do that anymore because it tells me that the url doesn't exist. Could you help me

stiletto2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I noticed the date of your .png file was a couple of years ago.  My old files on Dropbox still produce proper copy links.  The problem only occurs on files recently created.  Could you try putting a new .png file into dropbox and then choose copy link and see if you get an "scl" type link.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@stiletto2 wrote:

I noticed the date of your .png file was a couple of years ago. ...

Yes, but that file has never been shared before. That was the idea...

@stiletto2 wrote:

...  My old files on Dropbox still produce proper copy links.  The problem only occurs on files recently created. ...

Hm... I haven't noticed such behavior. 🤔

@stiletto2 wrote:

...  Could you try putting a new .png file into dropbox and then choose copy link and see if you get an "scl" type link.

Yes, of course. I just (few minutes ago) selected arbitrary image from here and put it in my Dropbox. The result follows:

изображение.png

Stratoman
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Exactly the same here but my son's computer is still creating the old file format /s/ 

Ufodynasty
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My understanding is that the change thus far only applies to some accounts (maybe based on account age?). Following your instructions on an account I've had for 6+ years still creates a /s/ link while a newer account I made specifically for uploading files and sharing links last year generated /s/ links until a week ago when it started generating /scl/fi links. I've created new files for every possible combination of sharing settings and all of them still create the /scl/fi links. I saw the support thread that people are referring to with sharing/editing settings, but I think it's just completely incorrect.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Ufodynasty wrote:

My understanding is that the change thus far only applies to some accounts ...

That's typical for Dropbox. When a feature is added or a function changed, they often roll it out slowly over time. They rarely push a change out to everyone all at once.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JNLin Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    musicrails New member | Level 2
    JasonSilverDBX Dropbox Product Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?