cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: search not working

Search not working on my Mac

kimsel
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey all, I cannot get my search to work. I'm not using smart sync. I can see the file I need, and it will not find it in a search. Help.

I have an apple M1 and Monterey. 

28 Replies 28

kimsel
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

the key word is a word visible within the document. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info. The ability to search the documents themselves for keywords is available on paid plans.  

As you mentioned you're on a Basic plan, this wouldn't be available on your current plan.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

intw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem with files when I search by a word in the title using finder, which I've always been able to do before. I assume it's related to the recent Mac OS 13 update, but I can't figure out how to fix it. The file does come up when I broaden the search from "dropbox" to "thie Mac."

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @intw, it's possible that the Spotlight index may need to be rebuilt, could you carry out the steps in this article? Note: the article mentions the ‘Documents’ folder but you need to use the Dropbox folder instead.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

simondewaal
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So you made it impossible to search in (free) dropbox. All the more reason not to pay, but to move to iCloud. Not really nice of you to include (or rather exclude) that possibility in an upgrade. 

intw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thaks, jay. I finally tried that, but it didn't seem to work. I note that Dropbox documents do show up (along with other documents) when I seerach in finder on "This Mac" instead of "Dropbox."

markcq
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Since the last big update to DropBox where the location moved to the Library on the Mac I'm not able to search (via the finder) for online only files. Only the offline files come up in a search. This is very painful and annoying, because now if I am looking for an online only file I have to go search on my phone or via the browser. Is there a way to fix this issue?

markcq
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a paid account and I have the same issue with the desktop app. It's very annoying and painful.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @markcq, thanks for posting here today! 

Can you clarify the version of the desktop app that you're using on the device, that's facing the search issue?

You can find your version, by locating your Dropbox icon on your menu bar, next to your WiFi and hovering your mouse over it. If you can send me a couple of screenshots of the results you get when you try to search for files using your Finder, that'd be amazing too! 

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

markcq
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox v169.4.5684

Apple M1 Pro

Ventura 13.2.1

So in the example below it doesn't matter if the file is offline or online only... I still can't find it in the search.

When Dropbox was not in the Library I never had this issue. I was able to search and find files.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 12.14.52.pngScreenshot 2023-03-17 at 12.15.33.pngScreenshot 2023-03-17 at 12.19.51.pngScreenshot 2023-03-17 at 12.19.25.png

Need more support?