cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our large PDF file has been separated into individual files after uploading to Dropbox via app.

Our large PDF file has been separated into individual files after uploading to Dropbox via app.

dpettigr
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I was recently asked to upload a large file set from our local storage to dropbox.  We basically dragged and dropped into the dropbox app... however now that we are looking at the data, it has separated our multi page PDF files into a new PDF file, one for each page!!!

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to reverse this or at the very least keep it from happening again?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@dpettigr wrote:

... it has separated our multi page PDF files into a new PDF file, one for each page!!!

That's not something that Dropbox does. How, exactly, did you upload your files? Provide the exact steps that you took, please.

dpettigr
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, thanks for the response!  We basically just dragged and dropped from file explorer.  We have 100 top level folders and each one contains multiple PDF files.   Dragging and dropping went fine.  However the next day, all the PDF files under the folders were extrapolated to each page of each PDF being its own PDF... It was the weirdest thing.  I wasn't sure if it was because of the size of the files or what was going on?

Your response makes it seem like it was some type of glitch?

Rich
Super User II

@dpettigr wrote:

Your response makes it seem like it was some type of glitch?

I wouldn't even call it a glitch because Dropbox doesn't have that capability. Something else must have split your PDF in to separate pages.

You said you dragged the files from Explorer. To where, exactly? Previously you said that you dragged them to the Dropbox app, but you can't upload files that way. The Dropbox app just controls the syncing and other features on your computer. You can't drag files on to it to upload.

dpettigr
Explorer | Level 3

Ok, what they did was click upload on the website thinking it was the app..  Would that cause the issue?  I will be trying to replicate the issue later this week.  What is the best way to move a lot of files and data from a NAS to dropbox?

Thank you also for all the help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dpettigr Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?