cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I preview Scrivener files?

Why can't I preview Scrivener files?

Sherma P
Explorer | Level 4

Just made an account, put a desktop app, and uploaded some text files created in Scrivener. Every item I click on yields an error message:  

Can’t load this file type

This file type is unsupported here

(download button)

Evidently, I am doing something wrong, and I don't know what it is. So, I can't correct it!

a. Why would I download something that I just uploaded?

b. why would Scrivener recommend using Dropbox if the .scriv are not supported?

c. Why do all your commercials make it seem like just drag and drop - yet nothing works

d. I remember paying for DB a couple of times and losing all interest after a few frustrating experiences like this one

e. Why can't DB hold hands of totally new-to-cloud apps and go one step at a time

f. I took the free tutorial on three separate occasions, but each time my questions were ignored

g. I am hoping this latest attempt to use DB will be good, somehow.

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

a) I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you tell me the steps you are taking? Are you uploading through the website? If so, and you have the app on your computer it will download back to your computer as that's what its supposed to do.

b) They arent supported on the website as viewed files, but, they do sync between devices, so, the app suggests it to make sure your devices (if you have multiple ones) are all up to date with the most recent files. BUT Dropbox is just like a clever USB pen - it simply moves the data around in some respects, it doesn't always do things with it - so this is a perfect example. It is just getting your data from A to B. You then need the app/program to open and edit it.

c) It is drag and drop. Drag the files from the folders in to the Dropbox directory and it will sync with Dropbox and then to the *same* folder you dragged it to on other computers BUT it wont link/sync/connect to anything back in the original location. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sherma P
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, Mark,

For taking time to explain things to me. I have been dragging and dropping them into the website directly, where I am able to read only some types of files, such as rich text, PDF and simple notes. Files ending dot scriv or dot scrivx are seen but not readable online. However, they are readable in my desktop DB.  I think I got that, and so far so good.

Drag the files from the folders in to the Dropbox directory and it will sync with Dropbox and then to the *same* folder you dragged it to on other computers BUT it wont link/sync/connect to anything back in the original location.

My primary goal is to find a cloud DB to Save my stories. So, is it fair to say that it is better to drag files from my Explorer directly into the DB folder on my desktop? And let the app do the syncing? I think, I saw where the locations for such saving can be defaulted in the programs, but one thing at a time. Also, if I can't open a file on the website, how will I know that it is saved in cloud? Thanks for your time, Mark.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sherma P, syncing files through the Dropbox desktop app is our preferred method of uploading files, so yes, I would also suggest you use the Dropbox folder.

As for the non-previewable files, if you add them through your Dropbox folder, you can be sure that they're synced and uploaded, by looking at the sync icon next to them.

You can see all the sync icons here, for your reference.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Sherma P Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?