cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No preview of files when they're "online only" using Windows 11.

No preview of files when they're "online only" using Windows 11.

Brad Davis
Explorer | Level 3

When I try to search through files that are online only - there is now preview even though I am using the file explorer "dropbox app".

Is there a way to configure the app so that I don't need to keep all of our files in "offline" as this significantly slows down our computers.

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brad Davis, welcome to our Community! 

Does this happen with all your online-only files, or just some of them? Also, when did this start happening? 

Are you referring to the thumbnail preview, or the preview when you try to open the files? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Brad Davis
Explorer | Level 3

Using file explorer when I am looking through multiple files, there is no preview on the right hand side that shows images or the document - This makes file searching very sluggish as I need to open each file to view it even if just trying to glance at it.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brad Davis, would you mind clarifying the Dropbox version you're currently using? 

You can find this by hovering your mouse over the little Dropbox icon on your task bar, next to your WiFi. 

If you have any screenshots, feel free to send them over in order for me to also have a visual of this. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Brad Davis
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan, Please see the image attached.

When I click on a file there is no preview that comes up on the right hand side - This makes reviewing multiple files in a folder very difficult - I appreciate that making the data "offline" may be a resolution - however I would think that i shouldn't need to use up space on my computer when using the dropbox app.

BradDavis_0-1726009180199.png

Brad Davis
Explorer | Level 3

Also - Version is up to date:

BradDavis_0-1726009350243.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brad Davis, based on everything you mentioned, it sounds that switching the files' state to "available offline" helps remedy this behavior, am I right? 

What happens when you temporarily quit the Dropbox app? Do you still notice the same thing then?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Brad Davis
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

Yes this issue has only come since I transferred all file to be online only - As i mentioned before I don't think I should have to store our whole Dropbox on our computers to have a preview of the files.

Using the online portal is not an option as its quite clunky and not user friendly when searching through masses of documents.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Brad Davis Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?