cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My image files are missing the .jpg extension and cannot be opened

My image files are missing the .jpg extension and cannot be opened

Kathrine3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey 

About 3 weeks ago I wanted to organize the folder "camera upload". I created new folders 2009, 2010, 2011 and so on, made a search for every single year e.g 2010 and moved the pictures to the new folder "2010". My problem is that I can´t open the pictures in 3 of the folders. Instead of .jpg every picture is named like this:

Kathrine3_0-1716315866367.png

so... what can I do to get my pictures back? They are no longer in the camera upload-folder, so I´m lost!

Best regards 

Kathrine

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kathrine3 wrote:

Many files have the same date but but a different time ... so I can´t just rename file no. 2  2018-12-24.JPG because it then will be a copy of the first.

Sure you can. Add the extension after the time so it looks like 2018-12-24 13.05.33.jpg. It will still work.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

That looks like whatever uploaded them didnt add the extension to the files. A rename to include .jpg at the end should work.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Kathrine3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey Mark

I have tried it, but it is not working (if I´m doing it correctly)

Can I rewind the map, so that the pictures will be replaced in the originally folder "camera uploads"?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kathrine3 wrote:

I have tried it, but it is not working (if I´m doing it correctly)

What does one of the complete filenames look like after you've renamed them?

Kathrine3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It looked like this:

Kathrine3_0-1716365535740.png

after some time, I was able to open the picture. My problem now is, that I have quite a lot of files that needs to be renamed .JPG. It there a easy way out? 

Many files have the same date but but a different time e.g

Kathrine3_2-1716365981738.png

so I can´t just rename file no. 2  2018-12-24.JPG because it then will be a copy of the first. Hope that make sence:).

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Kathrine3!

Have you taken a look at our naming conventions or automation options? 

They might suit your needs, and you might be able to adjust the files, and make them work. 

If this doesn't work out for you, then I'm afraid you'd need to individually rename the files. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kathrine3 wrote:

Many files have the same date but but a different time ... so I can´t just rename file no. 2  2018-12-24.JPG because it then will be a copy of the first.

Sure you can. Add the extension after the time so it looks like 2018-12-24 13.05.33.jpg. It will still work.

Kathrine3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

of course🙈 -  thanks😊

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kathrine3 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?