cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I put all files available offline, but Dropbox doesn't download them.

I put all files available offline, but Dropbox doesn't download them.

Rocky B.2
Explorer | Level 4

Hi! I recently bought a new Macbook and wanted to sync my files to my new computer. Unfortunately, I am unable to download all the files. They are mostly kept in the cloud. I changed the preferences to offline in the Dropbox settings, but this did nothing. What to do?

I need to have all my files available offline, because the cloud version prevents me from searching files and file contents via Spotlight and browsing through pictures is a drag.

I have the latest Dropbox, 2TB subscription, Macbook M3 Pro, all the latest updates.

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Rocky B.2, I hope you're doing well!

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, are these the steps you followed in order to make your files available offline? 

Would you mind clarifying the OS you're using, along with the Dropbox version that you have installed on the device?

If you could also check your syncing status, that'd be amazing. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rocky B.2
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Dropbox->Preferences->Available Offline checked

Sync status: Your files are up to date.

Sonoma 14.6

v204.4.5420

What should I do? It's been several days, and the folders have not been downloaded. Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 21.01.25.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Rocky B.2, sorry for jumping in. Are you seeing both these icons next to all of your files or next to your folders? 

What if you right-click directly on your Dropbox folder and choose to make it available offline? Are your files downloaded locally then?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Rocky B.2
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, I see it with all the files. If I right-click on them and make them available offline, it sometimes does sometimes doesn't, freezing (photo below). In any case, the app should do it automatically as I've enabled it to make all my files available offline. Could you please offer solutions? I pay for Dropbox and have not been able to do my work for several days now.

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 07.34.40.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Rocky B.2, if you're referring to the setting inside the app's preferences, then you need to keep something in mind: 

The setting is applied to newly added files when you add them through the website. 

So, when you create, or upload a file through the website that should sync as available offline. As for the files freezing when you try to change their status, do you mean that there's no progress in the syncing of the file at all? 

How long does it take until it eventually syncs the content? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Rocky B.2
Explorer | Level 4

1. The mentioned text files don't become available offline at all (though they do open online via browser). 

2. Thanks for explaining the logic of the preferences settings. It sounds bizarre, but I guess you have your reasons. In any case, this is not helpful for me as I need to have my files accessible to me offline *at all times*. I explained it quite clearly. Please tell me what to do.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rocky B.2, have you right-clicked the Dropbox folder itself in Finder and chosen the 'Available offline' option?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rocky B.2 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?