cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Don't Open Preview When Clicking Hotdog Menu

I don't want to keep seeing a side-preview of my files, when clicking the ellipsis

Helpful | Level 6

Hello. Often, I just need to download a file (PDF, Word doc) from the list in a folder's view. I click the three dot expansion menu, and it pulls up the preview pane. This is clunky, slow, unexpected behavior. If I want to preview, I'll click the filename itself, or the larger context box its in. When I just need to download something I don't want to wait 4-5 seconds for it to load. 

Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @789, we appreciate the feedback on this matter. 

We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@789 wrote:

I click the three dot expansion menu, and it pulls up the preview pane.

This happens because when you click that menu the file is selected, and you have Quick View enabled for files. If you disable that, the file will not preview when you click the menu.

a5216755fdcafbd3f9fea91e2ab6f2a1.png

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the reply, Rich. I want files to open in quickview when I click the filename or container, but not when I click the three dot hotdog expansion menu. 

Now that you mention it, clicking a file's selection box on the left pulls up a preview, too (unless you click two or more). Dropbox should nix that too. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @789, we appreciate the feedback on this matter. 

We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This seems to have been fixed. Thank you! I know it seems like a little thing but my experience is much smoother again. 

T_theresa_A
Community Manager

Hi @789 I'm really glad to hear that this has been updated and is working better for you 🤗 We'll share this feedback with the team so they can understand the impact this has for you.

But separately to that, I'd personally love to learn more about how you use Dropbox overall, if you have any interest in sharing? I'm really interested in people's workflows so I can find any helpful tips we can share with you or the internal teams! 😀

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Theresa. I've made a couple posts on the forum describing my main workflow, but essentially the primary thing I use Dropbox for is uploading and downloading files. My team has many projects, often with poorly named files and folders due to multiple revisions (when it's not feasible for everyone to work from the same file and upload it with the same name for Dropbox's built-in revision history, though we do that sometimes, and because working from desktop applications is usually easier and more fully-featured than Office 365 online). So I'm usually going straight to "starred". I use Dropbox online and others use it from their integrated desktop file explorer, so we often have to be careful to not be in the same file at the same time because of syncing issues between desktop Word and Word for the web. Because of this it's also difficult to share the working link to files, and we usually copy/paste the file location and I use the search function to look for the file, because the URL includes the user's file directory (e.g. user1/company/project/file.docx whereas I'm 789/company/project/file.docx). I use the sharing link when I can, but it's unclear who has access sometimes, or if we forwarded the email with that link in the email chain if someone outside our org could accidentally be given access to that file. Or people who use Dropbox through desktop folders don't have an easy sharing link to begin with. I don't use automatic folders, or basically any other feature besides uploading/downloading, "open with Word on the web," and simply previewing files. I find Dropbox's search clunky and it often won't find what I want despite exact search terms. Or will give me files instead of the folder I need. All I need is screen real estate and zippy navigation. I see there's now an option to hide "suggested from activity", so that's good. Overall Dropbox is serviceable.

Need more support?